HELP! I caught a wild chicken???

I wouldn't give her bird seed. Try giving her any of the following:

banana
tomatoes (chopped)
cooked rice or pasta
cooled cooked oatmeal
cracked corn
maybe even wet cat food if you have it

She's a beautiful chicken. If you're not a chicken person then put a picture up on craigslist and sell her for $8. Someone is sure to take her. Anytime I've found chickens on craigslist they're gone by the time I call.

I think I like you already :)
You could Build her a small coop Cheap and many people build cute little coops. Look at my website below I have all kinds of Pens/Coops/Cages listed in one album to look at. NO YOU DO NOT need a rooster but chickens are flock birds and you may want to consider getting another hen or two to keep her happy.
You would have so many eggs you would find yourself baking all the time just to use up the eggs I also JUST built a smal coop yesterday for my daughters 4 small polish chickens to keep them seperated from mine it is only 30 inches Wide by 4 Feet long. and I built a wire cage to put in front of it that is the same size so they could come out and get sunshine. I will go take a picture and post it.

Oh you are going to be sooooo hooked. I would say put some paper towels in there with her. Cleaning time will be easier for you. In the mean time feed her what everyone has stated already. Do you happen to have an apple cider vinegar that is raw and un-pasturized? You won't find it on the shelf at Walmart. Sometimes called Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother. It will be cloudy with what looks like stuff floating in it. Give one TBLE. per gallon of water. This will help boost her immunity. Plain yogurt is also a yummy treat. Mine love tomatoes and watermelon and anything else you can find for them. They are a social creature so you will probably need to find her a friend or two. I just want you to know, that we are a bunch of enablers and we will be with you every step of the way. Good save and welcome to the family!

She looks like a Modern, as she's very lanky and very pretty, I might add.
Chickens are fairly easy to care for, much easier then a dog IMO.
This site is chalk full of information for first time chicken owners and we'd be more then happy to teach you proper chicken care, if you decide to keep her.
big_smile.png

You can look at this way...she chose you...lol. If you do decide to keep her (which I would
smile.png
), may I suggest at least a few other hen friends for her, a cute little coop (check out the BYC coop pages there are tons of ideas for adorable little coops perfect for a few hens) and run, some layer feed (just got to your local feed store and ask for layer feed...they'll know what you're talking about and a little nest box.

Good luck whatever you decide...but be careful, chickens are addicting.

Quote:
Why not meat? I give mine hamburger all the time...

And I never thought about milk...but why is that bad? Just curious...

To the OP...major karma points for your good deed!!!

Last edited:
Chickens are lactose intolerant, Mayberry.
Slifer used to love to get into the wild bird seed...
If you could get to the petshop and go to the bird section, they have CoopCups especially so that the birds won't step in their food and water and upset the bowls. I bought some for the rabbit hutch/chicken coop and they were great.
I'd cook the hamburger though.
Thank you for saving her, she's very pretty.

What a beautiful girl! It sounds like you are thinking of keeping her - yay! You might want to take a quick trip to the feed store and buy a couple of things that will make life much easier.
The first thing you should get is a waterer especially for chickens. They are constructed so that the chickens can't poop in the water or spill it.
Since her age is a bit uncertain, I would get her some chick food or grower formula; but when you are sure she is an adult (or starts to lay eggs!), she should start getting layer formula.
Then you spend hours and hours here on BYC, reading and chatting. Soon your friends will think you have gone chicken crazy!

Back
Top Bottom