HELP I cut my goats hoove too short and now it's bleeding. Now what?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I know that you're supposed to stop when you see pink but there was no pink so I made one more snip and then the blood came. I managed to get it stopped with some cornstarch so now I'm wondering what I should do for him. I sure as heck don't want him to get an infection. Should I wrap it.....ya right like it would stay on!!!! I've got him in the stanchion still because I don't want him walking around until I figure out what to do. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO?!?!

We sprayed ours with first aid spray and bandaged him for a day or two when we cut our Nig. Dwarf's hoof too much. We used cotton pads and duct tape. He twitched as we were trimming and I got too much of his foot....dang goat.

He was fine.

Pour some turpintine on it, and it will be fine.
smile.png

The most important part at this point is to try to keep yer goat on clean dry surface ( as much as possible) for a day or 2. Granted there is risk of infection it is not real high. I have done the same thing and had nothing to use to stop the blood so stuck the foot in the dry dirt (not reccommended) and the goat was fine. Yes some will say wrap it. You already have that figured out it won't stay. Here are some suggestions and not meant to sound mean. Pickup some steptic powder ( commonly called blood stop), when trimming the feet if you think you are getting close take LITTLE BITES. It sounds like you may have been close and just took a little too big of bite. WE HAVE ALL DONE IT. Also in the future you may get faster help if you go to NPGA, that is the National pygmy goat Association.
Good luck.
Rob

Also a main thing to do when trimming feet is to make sure their Tetanus shots are up to date. It will stop if not cut to deeply and also you can carterize it with your disbudding iron to stop bleeding also if you cut to deeply.
Yes you always want Blood Stop powder on hand too...or what they call Wonder dust is another type of powder to have. Tetanus shots are always UTD.
Yep wrapping isnt a good idea as it causes germs you cant see to sit in a place where they dont need to be. He should be fine but might limp for a few days. sometimes it stops on its own also..

Next time you are out get some Short-cut Styptic Powder we keep it around and its safe for all animals. Hope your little goat does well.

It happens to everyone, deep breath, deep breath. When it happens here I just let them stand on the foot (which keeps pressure on it) for a few minutes and then turn them loose. If they are up to date on the C&T/Covexin 8 I don't worry about it. They may limp for a day or two, but that's it. If they are due for shots, then I give them a shot of Tetanus Antitoxin. I've only had to wrap one does foot, and that was due to a farrier cutting part of the coronet band. Four days later I pulled off the wrap and she was fine.

I wrapped it and put some antibiotic ointment on it. I thought that when he got off the stanchion he'd be kicking around trying to get the wrap off of his foot. He just ran over to the hay and started eating like nothing was wrong. He's not limping or anything. I think that I was the one who was freaking out, actually I know that I was the one freaking out. I felt so bad. You guys have given me all good advice. Thank you so much
hugs.gif

as long as she has had her tetnus shot... it is fine... spray it with some sort of "barn animals" topical meds... blue kote, red kote, ferosen (sp?),etc... and keep it dry... dont wrap it,, if you put oinment and a wrap on it, that will keep it moist.. and that causes more problems... spray it, keep it dry

Back
Top Bottom