Help! I didn't think they'd hatch!

Sartin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
we are so excited and shocked and I don't know what to do!
We have 4 hens and 1 rooster. Our Buff went broody on 4 eggs... but she was off of them for many of the times we went to check on her, so we really didn't think they would hatch. But yesterday we had a chick! Now I'm freaking out! She's up in the nest box? What should we do? I'm feeling really horrible, so unprepared! Do we need to separate them? My instinct is let the mother take care of them, but I don't know how she can keep them up in the nest box... Any ideas? Thank you from a newbie!
Sarah

Hello,
Uou can take the chick , let it have a drink then put it back..

ALSO GO BUY CHICK STARTER.

Is your nest box up off the ground?????
IF so can you lower it to the floor????

You need to know if the other eggs are good.
Take a brite/strong Mag flash light and put it on the fat end of the egg so it eluminates the egg to see if it has a chick in it...
TOSS the bad eggs so she does not continue sitting on bad eggs and ignoreing the chick.

Thank you-
She is in a metal nest box like this
x00
and she is in the left middle box.
I'll get chick starter this morning

Should I move the mother and chicks?

Just got back inside from the coop:
The mother is still setting, I tried to look at the eggs... there are 4 eggs and one chick, but I couldn't see the chick! But I think I could hear it, I tried to get a look, it seemed like it was behind her. I'm afraid of her breaking the eggs. I suppose I need to just get over my fears and check out those eggs? yikes! I feel like one of those ladies on the news who goes to the hospital with heartburn and comes home with a baby!

SO:
Get Chick feed and water for the babies... do you think if the chicks fall down the will be ok? will the mom make a new nest in one of the lower boxes? Do I need to clean out the coop? Should I seperate them from the other chickens?

Can you tape a piece of card board or something to the front of the next box to keep them from falling out
until they are done hatching? Then after they are all dont you might be able to try moving them to a safer place. I have a customer that said she's lost many by them falling out of the nest box. I have a Buff Orpington hatching in the nest box right now too. Ours is wood and my husband made a piece to screw on the front to make it an actual box. I do think you should try to block the front so they dont fall out, and when they are done hatching you might want to move them. Be sure you can watch mom at first. I know i tried moving the eggs out of the nest box in the beginning, and she kept going to sit where they WERE..... leaving the eggs on the floor nest i built her
roll.png
so if you move her, she might go back up looking and hopefully she will figure it out. Good luck, i bet you will have more hatching
smile.png

Thank You ! That's a super idea! I'm going to do it right now-
also, just checked them again and the chick is in there and so I'm going to tape them in. Then once they all hatch might she nest in one of the lower boxes?

Do I need to water the chick?

They are taped in the box- I feel so much better now! I have to get chick starter this morning- my question now is this:
Once I get the courage up to check those eggs, how long can that chick go without food or water? Meaning, should I pick it up and show it the food and water, or wait for the mother to take the lead? I'd like the mother to raise the chicks, but I don't know if we should relocate them or what. It's pretty cute, the other hens and rooster are staying out of the coop and looking through the door, like a nervous father at a maternity ward.

I just found the forum this morning and I just want to thank everyone who is involved here! Thanks so much!

They can go 72 hours with food and water. They live on the resources of the yolk they absorbed just before hatching. If you keep chick starter and water where they can get to it the hen will teach them to eat and drink. The chick starter would be good for her to eat too. If you want her to raise the chicks leave her to it and don't fuss with them very much. Just keep en eye on her and make sure the chicks are thriving.

Great, thank you! That was my instinct. I'll keep you all updated and thank you for your help!

Sartin, here is a pic from this morning. I knew i had a second hatching so went right out to see it.
Do you know what your hen is hatching?

2001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom