HELP I don't know whats wrong with my little hen UPDATE*****She didn't make it :'(

Kiwiheather

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Today I went to let my 4 hens and batam roo out and one of my hens is acting weird. She didn't come out right away and when she did she was moving very slow. Her poo is watery and clear. She is standing very still and closing her eyes. After searching on here, I picked her up and looked for mites, cuts or feet problems...nothing. She is only 4 1/2 months old and none of them are laying yet so she can't be egg bound I am assuming. They all acted fine yesterday. She just falls asleep in my arms when I hold her and I got even more nervous when I offered them mealworms and she just stood there as the others gobbled them up then turned around and closed her eyes again. I don't know if I should put her in my rabbit hutch away from the rest of them or if that would cause her more stress. These are my first chickens and I am not sure what to do...any suggestions are greatly appreciated...
hit.gif

Last edited:
Two things I would offer are to see if she feels like she has lost weight, feel to see if her crop is full to determine if she has been eating or has stopped. I think it is important to know if she has a fever but I'm not the one to give guidance on that since I have never personally done it, but my vet says to do it.

I would also offer to be cautious about the decision to separate her since it can be very hard work to reintroduce everyone. What temperature is it where you are? Mine are all acting weird because it is 5 degrees out.

Her crop is located near on the right side of her breast. If she has been eating you should be able to feel a lump, that's the crop. Another Idea is that she may have impacted crop or sour crop, these two things could cause the symptoms that your girl is showing.
Good luck!
-Roxy

I felt the crop and it feels like a water balloon, thinking probably impacted then? I don't smell anything bad from her beak. I gave her 1cc of olive oil and massaged it. she doesn't look any better. About how long should I wait before doing it again? How fast will it help her?

are you seeing any blood in the dropings? we have a horrid time with coxi, and I would lean to starting her on coxi meds, what do you all think... I am not the best to ask becuse that is always where I go first becuse it is a problum with us. so that is always my first thought. has she lost a lot of weight...the good thing is that it just started so you are on it quick.

are you seeing any blood in the dropings? we have a horrid time with coxi, and I would lean to starting her on coxi meds, what do you all think... I am not the best to ask becuse that is always where I go first becuse it is a problum with us. so that is always my first thought. has she lost a lot of weight...the good thing is that it just started so you are on it quick.

No blood at all, Watery clear when she went earlier today...Just looked up cocci. She is laying down with eyes closed but not ruffled at all. I feel so awful for her :(

Yes people vinegar should be fine. You could syringe the yogurt, just be very very careful that she does not aspirate it. You will have many more problems if it gets into her lungs. I did a quick search and can't remember which area of the mouth to avoid. Maybe someone can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom