Help! I have a few questions bout eggs and I need them answered!

Thank you everyone for your help. But doesn’t a bullseye always mean that’s an egg is fertile especially when multiple ones have the bullseye? Also does anyone have tips on how to keep eggs warm for several hours without a bulb??

Thank you everyone for your help. But doesn’t a bullseye always mean that’s an egg is fertile especially when multiple ones have the bullseye? Also does anyone have tips on how to keep eggs warm for several hours without a bulb??
What you are seeing in that egg is not a bullseye. If it really was a true bullseye you would see veining in that egg. If you want to incubate eggs you need an incubator or a broody hen. Nothing else will really work.

Some people swear by the bullseye. Some people have experienced what you have - it's impossible to really tell without a test incubation. You might be able to use a heat mat instead of the lamp, but usually no. Most people use an incubator. What temperature is it at egg level under your lamp right now? You have a thermometer, right?

Last edited:
Yeah, I had no idea I couldn't see it when candling. I was removing the eggs and had ten infertile ones, i just figured that one would be too. I was carrying them out to the trash when I dropped them all because I tripped over the dog. They were all infertile except that one. I felt so bad.
Sometimes if your candling light is too bright, it will shine right through very fine veins or a tiny embryo! It can also be hard to see through spotted, thick shelled, or dark coloured eggs.

Sometimes if your candling light is too bright, it will shine right through very fine veins or a tiny embryo! It can also be hard to see through spotted, thick shelled, or dark coloured eggs.
Yeah, I think that's what it was. I was also going a little fast, as I had already gone through quite a few with nothing and I was excited to start my new eggs. :oops:

In the photo you showed that's not a bullseye! Just a nucleus called a blastodisc. The bullseye, called a blastoderm, looks similar to that but is much more than a little white spot! It will be twice that size and look like a white ring AROUND a spot, and usually with some beginnings of veins. Not just a spot alone. That's why it's called a 'bullseye' (like an archery target) and not a 'white dot' :) Here is an example of the difference!

Yeah, I think that's what it was. I was also going a little fast, as I had already gone through quite a few with nothing and I was excited to start my new eggs. :oops:
I know what you mean, I have to sit on my hands in order to avoid over-candling my quail's eggs! Nothing is more exciting to me than hatching eggs. I would do it for a living if I could!

I know what you mean, I have to sit on my hands in order to avoid over-candling my quail's eggs! Nothing is more exciting to me than hatching eggs. I would do it for a living if I could!
Me too! I want to get my incubator out SO bad. Just gotta wait until summer :th

Some people swear by the bullseye. Some people have experienced what you have - it's impossible to really tell without a test incubation. You might be able to use a heat mat instead of the lamp, but usually no. Most people use an incubator. What temperature is it at egg level under your lamp right now? You have a thermometer, right?
My egg is at 98.5 right now, sometimes it’s goes higher though!

Back
Top Bottom