Help! I have to pick my chicks tomorrow! How do I choose good ones?

guesswhatchickenbutt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central FL
The Feed Store just called and my chicks are in.
wee.gif
I want to rush right up there and get them, but I am going to wait until tomorrow so it can be a family thing.

I'm getting a BO, a BR and an Americauna (she assures me it is, but if it's an EE, I'm fine with that too).

So... what do I look for in a chick? They're seperated by sex and breed so I know I'm going for girls in the above breeds (hopefully I end up with girls). I know she's got a hundred of each of the breeds so there will be plenty to choose from.

Besides looking for clear eyes, a straight beek, straight, healthy legs and an otherwise alert chick - is there anything else I should look for?

How about coloration? Is there anyway I can look at the BR chicks and figure out how much barring they'll have? and the Americauna (or EE) - is there anything related to coloring I should look for?

I'm beyond beyond excited and wish I could get them today, but my husband really wants to go and so do the kids, so I'm being a good mom and waiting until tomorrow. Sigh - it's such a long way away.
yippiechickie.gif

Any help is appreciated!!!

You can also check:

size - equal to or larger than hatch mates. Runts can be cute, but they sometimes suffer from health problems.
breathing - no raspiness, no open-mouth gasping
discharge - no discharge from eyes, nostrils, mouth
general behavior - when they are running in the brooder, watch for perky chicks that are inquisitive and move around OK. No limping!

Very young (under 5 days) chicks will sleep a lot, sometimes stopping in the middle of what they are doing and falling down for a nap. This is normal. However, they should also get back up and run around like they never slept within a short period of time!

Good luck, and enjoy your chicks!
smile.png

Other than making sure they look healthy, as the other poster mentioned, I would just go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Second thinking it will make you crazy! And this is coming from a person who stared at the oranges for like five minutes before choosing some at the grocery store.

THANKS for the great advice!!!

Any thoughts on coloration???????

Is there a way to tell which BR's will have more barring than the others? Or is it a chick-crap-shoot when it comes to this sort of thing. I'd love one with dramatic barring, but I'd love a messy looking one too, of course.

And the Americaunas - any ideas on chick coloration with relation to adult coloration there???

Good luck! I hope the chicks aren't flying out the door like they are here--get there early! The EEs ("ameraucana") are so cool, I like all the colors. The chipmunky ones seem to have a lot of all over feather "lacing" when adult. I have one that was black with just a rust tinge to her, she is turning into the most beautiful chick with a lot more light color in the neck, breast area. The light color ones with a hint of color also turn out lovely if you like a lighter colored chicken. Get a range!

I raise ameracaunas and the prettiest ones I have when they were chicks were the lightest in color with the most different colors on them. The dark ones are pretty but the light colored have more colororation.

Back
Top Bottom