HELP I hurt my chicken

jslkramer

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
I was trying to pick her up to take her outside from the brooder and I lost my balance and I feel I leaned on her. Not sure how hard, but it am sure it was hard enough. I am sure I hurt her foot because she won't stand on it right now, but I am not sure if I hurt anything else. What do I need to watch for? I am so upset and angry with myself. She is just over 5 weeks old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

First thing - treating for shock.

Get your hen to a quiet and isolated place where she can just exist for a bit and recover. Ideally with no other chickens around. Food should be withheld at this time but water should be provided. If possible, add electrolytes (mixing in gatorade or a bit of sugar is a good fallback if you don't have any on hand).

Once you have her settled in to a safe area and calmed down, let's try to get some pictures of any wounds and that leg.

First thing - treating for shock.

Get your hen to a quiet and isolated place where she can just exist for a bit and recover. Ideally with no other chickens around. Food should be withheld at this time but water should be provided. If possible, add electrolytes (mixing in gatorade or a bit of sugar is a good fallback if you don't have any on hand).

Once you have her settled in to a safe area and calmed down, let's try to get some pictures of any wounds and that leg.
It's a chick not an adult chicken.

Thanks for all the support and advice. She is doing much better today. No swelling, and walking just fine.

Back
Top Bottom