HELP, I just broke up a cock fight

Chihuahuamom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
I hope I can get some advice, I have 2 frizzle roosters and 1 silkie rooster, they cannot be together, I swear they will kill each other. The silkie seems to be the problem with the other two. I don't have two sep yards/barn. My problem is I don't want to part with any of them, would it be cruel to have a sep rooster area for the two frizzles? They would still be able to see the hens so I don't know if that would just be wrong. I really don't want the expense of a whole new set up with a shed and yard.....Roosters have been a nightmare for me, I placed 10 just a few weeks ago, I end up with all boys !!!
sad.png

Go ahead and put them in their own area. Their fighting is likely the roos trying to figure out who is top and who is not, and one of the roos keeps fighting with the top roo trying to displace them.

Do they ever work it out? The fights are pretty bad and I can't take a chance on leaving them alone. The silkie will not back down, he chases the other two until they get into it. It is so frustrating for me, roosters really are a pia. I've raised them all from an egg and don't want to have to give them up.

I routinely keep spare roos in their own quarters - without any hens to sqabble over - they buddy around together and don't generally spar with each other. They free range and my flock of hens doesn't, so they spend a lot of time doing the rooster dance in front of the hens' run, but that doesn't usually start a cock fight unless one of the girls gets out and they all go for her. I like keeping a few spare roos wandering around - they keep the compost piles turned and if a predator comes by - they'd go for the easy mark instead of tunneling into the coop.

They do work it out eventually, and usually won't kill each other over it, just eventually after fighting it out, someone comes out on top and that is that. I've had a fight so bad they were down to bloody combs and faces, holding to each others neck feathers and literally dragging each other on the ground, so tired, they didn't even have the energy to do anything other than lay there holding each other. At the end of the day, one came out on top, and there wasn't any more fights. But alas, they became table birds because I already had a top roo.

Normally I break up fights when they get bloody, but I didn't get back home in time to stop the roo fight before finding the bloody mess of feathers attached to each other.

Did you order or hatch? Thats alot of roos! Oops just saw...
I have 3 different pens for 3 roos that just couldnt get along with the others. I have 3 hens in with them I just built it with 6 T long posts and some chicken wire. Then made little houses later, at first I just used plastic dog crates so I could shut them in at night. I do agree they are trying to see who is top dog. I dont know if you raised them together (see you have) but when we have we have not had to much of a problem, other then top dog. Are they drawing blood are just doing the "jump up and dance". If they are not drawing blood by spurs, sit out and watch. We got a hen 2 years old that would attack my roo I just stayed in the pen all day and separted each time I felt it was going to far. She beat the rooster up and the next day all was fine. He did get a bloody comb, but not ripped just pecked. Hope all works out for you!
I do agree to let them free range when raised together if there are no hens or alot they tend to work it out and have places they can run and get away. It may take a few days.

Last edited:
you could try making a wire cage inside the run so they could still be around all the other's they just couldn't touch the other roosters and switch them around so they all get to be with the hens once in awhile.

i free range so my roosters work it out themselves, because spring is here, hormones are raging, it can get pretty bloody at times but because mine have a place to get away they usually do

Thanks for your advice guys !! I should have mentioned that the two frizzles were raised together and silkie was not, they have always been sep but could always see each other. However one day the gate got opened between the pens and they were all together. At that time they beat the heck out of the silkie so I took him away till he healed and tried to put him back, now I guess it's payback time cause he's after them big time. It's really hard with my set up to keep them sep , so I wanted to have them all together, but I think it's impossible at this point. I guess I'm going to have to make a decision as to the frizzles Or him. They were all thru the mail fert eggs that my little bantam hatched . All the other roosters came from them. I have NO luck getting hens, I end up with all boys !!! NO more babies for me !!

Back
Top Bottom