Help, I just do not know what to do!

JodiLynn

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
For xmas I got a pair of Dwarf Orlanski (sp) and choc orps. Both orps died. One from Cocci (lots of blood and died within 24 hours of bring them home) the other from a respiratory issue that I couldn't make go away. Now my little dwarf roster has raspy breathing and something going on with his comb. I posted it on here when it happened and everyone agreed it seemed to be an injury. I have been cleaning with Neosporin. The is day 2 of Tylan for the respiratory issue going on. Now there is a sore beside the comb, and I started treating it and today there is the same kind of sore on the other side of the comb. I have them in quarantine and there was a small computer fan to circulate air on top of their cage. I turned it off in case he could be hurting himself though doubtful because of where it was located. What else could it be? Should I cull to save him from suffering? He is eating and drinking but sneezing consistently. Though he has no nasal discharge. I will post pics as soon as possible. Any help would be so appreciated, I am stumped and the DH thinks we should cull in case this "Sore" issue gets worse. Help me, I love this little guy but it may be to late :(

[/IMG]

These are the beat I can get. The comb has a thick scab thing and there is a small round sore in each side on the comb. One is scanned over the other is fresh from today. Any ideas? Is it probably a sore possibly from the fan or could it be something like fowl pox?

My Roo has developed some black spots on his crest that look almost identical to your pic. I looked up fowl pox online and they are more of pustules than flat scab looking things (whew!) - which I found out is most likely caused by an injury. i.e. other chickens pecking him, rubbing it too hard on a rough surface. You mentioned a fan...I would bet that is the culprit.

I don't think you should cull yet..unless you think he is really suffering. What you described doesn't sound too serious yet.

If it was me, I'd just keep him quarantined until I got a better diagnosis. Maybe now that the fan is gone he'll be back to nromal soon...who knows?

(Oh, and I'd wash my hands thouroughly after handlign him so you don't possibly spread an infection to the rest of the flock)

Last edited:
They are quarantined up the road in one of our shops. We oxine ourselves before and after leaving the building. I agree it doesn't seem to serious. Its just been so tough with one issue after anouther. I hope it is the fan because that's something I can fix. The constant sneezing and raspy breathing is probably a more pressing concern. I just did not know what to make of the sores. I feel bad the fan got him :(

thanks for all the responses! I love BYC! I am treating the sneezing and raspy breathing with Tulane and electrolytes in the water. Is there anything else I can do for him in that area?

Back
Top Bottom