Help! I just killed a chick by accident!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dillydudeman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dillydudeman

dillydudeman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    I am on day 22 of hatching 3 dozen eggs in my incubator. I have had zero chicks hatch... not even a poke hole. All i have seen is two eggs rocking, which was on day 20 and 21 and now have stopped. I figured it was a bad batch of eggs so i took out three eggs and broke them. Two were rotten but one had a chick inside. It was breathing and opening its eyes.The only thing that did not look so great about it was green gook around its yolk. I feel terrible for it because it died from me breaking its egg. However, i am so confused. What do i do with the other eggs? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That's super sad. I haven't ever hatched chicks so I can't help, but I'm sorry that happened...but it doesn't sound like it was doing too well anyway. What was the incubation like?

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well, I wait until day 26 to open my eggs. I gently chip of shell with tweezers at the big end then go from there! Let me know (PM Me) if you need anymore help!

4. dillydudeman

dillydudeman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    well i have incubated before and i love it, but the part i love is when the chicks hatch. To turn the eggs for 21 days and not get any hatch is a really big dissapointment because now i will have to find some more eggs and wait another 21 days unless any of theses eggs decide they want to hatch.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by