help i just made a huge finch coop~!

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
its 200 sq feet and 9 feet high its huge its enclosed with hardware cloth and plywood

do u know what species i can add that will eat the same seed mix and can handle california weather all year right? I am in sacramento?

Also id like to only buy species id be able to sell the offspring off later on if i need to

also how many finches can i have in a 200 sq foot? its 22 feet long 9 feet wide 9 feet high?

what other species of birds can i mix with the finches ?

thanks so much

Pheasants and button quail work as ground birds. I have also seen people keep diamond doves and smaller gentler parakeets. You can keep many species of finch outside all year as long as you have a place they can get out of storms is there a roof on the aviary or just an open wire roof? Gouldians are probably the most sensitive and you might need to be careful with them they also are harder to breed. Owl finches and parrot finches could also probably go out but are a more sensitive species. I know there is demands for those breeds and it would be easy to sell offspring if they breed. Some tougher finches are Zebras and Society or spice finches these have lots of cool colors. I used to have some of the only cremino societies in the US they popped up as a mutation out of my pied flock. I also had Zebras, Parrot Finches, Gouldians in wild type and yellow backed. My dream birds where blue backed Gouldians but they run at around $300 each! I lived near one of the biggest and best Gouldian breeders around they are almost as addicting as chickens ha ha. I also had white and black headed nuns, Diamond doves, orange cheeked waxbills, and Parakeets . There are some really amazing birds out there that would do well in your aviary. You should make some plantings it will make it all the more beautiful and encourage natural breeding.

Good luck with your Aviary be careful introducing new birds and always quarantine I learned that lesson when I lost most of my flock and had to start over! Buy from he best breeders you can there flocks are more likely to be disease free and it pays to buy from knowledgeable breeders.

Henry

Quote:
I actually wouldn't suggest anything other then Golden Pheasants those are the only ones I have seen successfully live with finches in a large aviary. What type of wire did you use? I hope you used Hardware cloth and not chicken wire! I wish I still had my Aviary it was so much fun and this is reminding me off when I had it it was only 6x4 though. If baby finches fall out of the next the quail and pheasants may eat them but generally when they are rejected like that there is not much you can do for them. Most finches stay off the ground most of the time. If the Aviary is small doves and quail and pheasants can come in to conflict over see don the ground but in your situation I would say try it out.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom