Help I keep losing chicks even with treatment!!! Need Ideas on what I'm dealing with!!

Hastingsflock

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
Missouri
Ok I am losing chicks/pullets 12wks and 14 wks left and right.

Various Sympotoms include: listless
ruffled feathers
sneezing
nasal discharge
wierd watery diarrhea
some liquid dark poop
never any solid droppings
droopy wings
loss of interest in food
very thirsty
some gurgling when breathing
One had red tinted liquid discharge literally pouring out of beak.
*No swelling in face
*No eye discharge

Some haven't shown any signs what so ever. Just found them dead.

I have treated for coccidiosis with corid as I thought I seen blood in some stools
I have treated with rounds of tylan for respiratory
I have given electrolytes
I have wormed

I believe I have narrowed it down to Fowl Cholera, necrotic enteritis, or uncontrollable case of coccidiosis, But I'm just not sure. Do you all have any other ideas?

I would get a necropsy done ASAP.

Too many meds to be able to tell from symptoms if the symptoms are coming from the original problem, or if the combination of wormers, meds, and the original illness are now all one big problem :(

I would get a necropsy and stop all medicating until the results were in, if it were my situation. I'd also quarantine all birds with symptoms and start probiotics along with the electrolytes and vitamins.

Wow I sure hope we can help find some answers for you....

Last edited:
Ok I am losing chicks/pullets 12wks and 14 wks left and right.

Various Sympotoms include: listless
ruffled feathers
sneezing
nasal discharge
wierd watery diarrhea
some liquid dark poop
never any solid droppings
droopy wings
loss of interest in food
very thirsty
some gurgling when breathing
One had red tinted liquid discharge literally pouring out of beak.
*No swelling in face
*No eye discharge

Some haven't shown any signs what so ever. Just found them dead.

I have treated for coccidiosis with corid as I thought I seen blood in some stools
I have treated with rounds of tylan for respiratory
I have given electrolytes
I have wormed

I believe I have narrowed it down to Fowl Cholera, necrotic enteritis, or uncontrollable case of coccidiosis, But I'm just not sure. Do you all have any other ideas?
@Hastingsflock , welcome to BYC! Tylan will treat mycoplasma and necrotic enteritis caused by clostridium, but it won't treat E.coli or pseudomonas aeruginosa, and no drugs will work if it's a virus. Would be best to consult with a vet to figure out what drugs you could use. If you can't consult with a vet or send one off for necropsy, you could try a different antibiotic.

How much Tylan did you use?
How much Corid did you use and for how long?
What wormer did you use, how much did you give and how many days did you give it?

-Kathy

I would get a necropsy done ASAP.

Too many meds to be able to tell from symptoms if the symptoms are coming from the original problem, or if the combination of wormers, meds, and the original illness are now all one big problem
sad.png

I would get a necropsy and stop all medicating until the results were in, if it were my situation. I'd also quarantine all birds with symptoms and start probiotics along with the electrolytes and vitamins.

Wow I sure hope we can help find some answers for you....
Not likely. I think all drugs mentioned can be used with each other.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Forgot to say that Tylan has a much better chance of treating mycoplasma and NE if the proper amount is given.

-Kathy

Name: Dr. Linda Hickam
Title: State Veterinarian
Agency: Animal Health Division Department: Missouri Department of Agriculture
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 630 Jefferson City, MO 65102-0630
Office Address: 1616 Missouri Blvd. Jefferson City, MO 65109
Office Telephone No: (573) 751-3377
Fax No: (573) 751-6919
E-mail : [email protected]

Missouri Department of Agriculture Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
701 North Miller Avenue
Springfield, Missouri
65802 Phone:
573-751-3377

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
1600 East Rollins
Columbia, Missouri
Phone: 573-882-8122
Fax 573-882-1411

@Hastingsflock
  , welcome to BYC! Tylan will treat mycoplasma and necrotic enteritis caused by clostridium, but it won't treat E.coli or pseudomonas aeruginosa, and no drugs will work if it's a virus. Would be best to consult with a vet to figure out what drugs you could use. If you can't consult with a vet or send one off for necropsy, you could try a different antibiotic.

How much Tylan did you use?
How much Corid did you use and for how long?
What wormer did you use, how much did you give and how many days did you give it?

-Kathy

Hello Kathy!
*Corid 10 ccs in water for 6 days
*tylan injections smaller birds 1/4cc once a day, little bit bigger birds 1/2cc once a day
* wormer was goat wormer safeguard 1/4 cc in mouth at day 1 and day 7.

wormer was first, then in a week started tylan when respiratory symptoms started and 2 days after tylan was started I started corid. Followed corid/tylan treatment with vitamins and electrolytes.
Everything seemed fine then it all hit back with a vengeance. We have now lost 5 in a week and a half time. 2 in the last 24 hours that showed no signs what so ever that we thought were some of the healthiest. I did refrigerate the last one and have decidecided if there is another one within 24 hours im sending them for testing.

I have since read somewhere I need to do tylan every 4-6 hours is that correct? If so it make more sense to get the soluble powder I would think.

Thank you for the info on the necropsy. I was unsure where to go. Now would a gross necropsy do or do I need more extensive testing you think?

The amount of Corid you used for six days is fine, but the FDA and mfg both recommend that it be given for an additional 7-14 days at 2.5ml per gallon, though I'm not sure if that would help in your case.

Tylan... everything I have read seems to indicate that the tylosin (Tylan) chicken dose is closer to 50 mg *per pound per day* and that it will work best if given several times a day. Problem with the injectable is that it can cause injection site necrosis, which I can confirm, because the one time I used it this happened. If I were going to use it again, I would give it orally at 25 mg per pound twice a day, or 16.67mg per pound three time a day, or maybe I'd just but the powder and tube the proper amount 2-4 times a day.

I would not put it in the water and assume that they were drinking enough.

50 mg = 1 ml (1 cc)
25 mg = 0.5 ml (1/2 cc)
16.67 mg = 0.33 ml (1/3 cc)

How much do they weigh?
Are any sick right now?
Can you post some poop pictures?

I don't know what breeds you have, but these weight below might be pretty close to what yours should weigh if they're standard sized layers.

Source: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00004191/00001
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Not likely. I think all drugs mentioned can be used with each other.

-Kathy

Oh, I don't doubt the efficacy of the drugs or interactions, but more which symptoms were from the original illness and which were effects of the meds...

For example, when I have a cold, I already feel headache, sore throat, etc, but when I take a cold medicine for it, I also get nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach...

Just trying to sort out which symptoms were the original ones; I should have stated it better ;)

I agree that a vet is needed pronto, both for the sake of the birds, and peace of mind for their owner :)

Back
Top Bottom