Help I made the coop too small **MANY PICS**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dlfridie, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I made this tiny coop from a plantstand I got a the Goodwill for 10 bucks.
    It was for my Serama pair, but I had to get rid of the rooster.
    Now, I have the Serama hen and a Green Egger together and this is too small.

My plan was to double the size, and just add on to the side. Double doors would allow ez cleaning.
    (It would be butted up the the hoop tractor they r living in now.) I would put legs on it, raising it 2 feet off ground.

Problem. When I unscrewed the side panel there was mold on the bottom where it sat in the rain one day before I elevated it.
    Should I scrap this thing and start from scratch?
    I was going to cut out those bottom boards on the open side. I assume the side w/ the panels also has mold on the bottom too.

It's 17 3/8" W X 49 1/2" L X 23" H

[​IMG]
    ORIIGINAL PLANTSTAND

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would clean it with a Bleach solution, let it dry really well, then use it.. If you have any Kilz or other antifungal paint/primer laying around you can always put a protecticve coat and let dry really well before use..

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    That is a good size for a broody, or quarantine coop, or perhaps for young ones. But with what you need, I really think it would be easier to start from scratch. Spray any mold with bleach, and store it in a very dry place, like the garage, for when you need it.

4. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    You could close that up for thier fowl weather shelter and attach an outside run for them....put a top on the outside run to keep out interlopers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by