1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help. I need some advice on hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KinderKorner, Apr 14, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright. So I like 4 roosters, and 20 hens. But since they run free together some of the younger roosters are spaz's. So many of my hens have little poofy or barer backs. They are slowly getting put away into breeding pens as I build them. And some of the roosters are going bye bye. But there is one hen who looks differently. The last few days, her tail is gone except maybe one or two feathers. Her back is bare, and she looks really scruffy. I figured she was molting. But now she is acting sluggish and just laying in the nest boxes all day not eating or drinking, and not laying. I'm worried now. Perhaps it's a mix of roosters and molting? I'm keeping her with my broody mama in a coop for a while to keep roosters away. But I just don't know what to do. I'm probably over reacting. But I would really like some other people comments.

Note: My chickens are happy and healthy. Free range, 16% layer, corn, and scraps for food. It's not a diet problem.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    She is probably all of the roosters' favorite. Roos don't spread it around evenly. They often like some better than others.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think you're overreacting, poor girl needs a break. If possible, you may wish to reevaluate the number of roosters before returring her, or let her stay with the other hen so long as things are calm.

4. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I would too seclude her and baby her for a while, even if you put her in a dog kennel or something. Could she be brooding?

Poor thing

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by