Help, I need some advice

Quote:
She's right and unfortunately they are very good at climbing fences. Just set up a security cam in your yard at night. You'll be shocked at what roams your yard while you're asleep!

Quote:
Some dogs train well with chickens but most people will tell you to NEVER leave your dog alone with the chickens, even if you think it is perfectly trained.

If you have no predators a good coop/tractor with a run area and an inside sleeping area should suffice to keep any that may appear at bay. Make sure they can't dig in either. Many people I know, even out in the woods, that have coops with attached well built runs, keep a small door on the coop open all the time so the chickens can let themselves in and out as they please. It's all about predator proofing. If your chickens were free ranging, which they won't be since they will be in the tractor, they would have to be closed in at night and let out in the morning.

For predators in a yard like yours think raccoons mostly. They can be very destructive and will reach through larger wire openings and try to pull your chickens through. Make your tractor with heavier gauge 1"x1" max wire (ideally I'd go 1" x 1/2") to keep the coons from grabbing your chickens at night. Make sure latches have some sort of locking manor that a small child couldn't undo. Raccoons are very adept with their little fingers.

I just wanted to second whoever said there are always predators.....this is very true.

I have 3 chickens in an urban neighborhood. We have a secure 8' privacy fence, and we have raccoons, skunks, possums and snakes in the yard almost every night. During the day we have hawks, who are brazen in their hunting if they think they can get away with it! I never leave my chickens out in the yard unattended for more than a couple minutes at a time.

If you only clean your chickens once or twice a week, yes, you will have trouble with stink. I clean my coop (6'x6' kids' playhouse) at least once and sometimes twice a day, and that keeps the smell at bay, but just barely.

I would never EVER trust a dog around chickens. Ever. It's just asking for trouble, IMO. Dogs are ruled by instinct, no matter how well-trained they are.

This probably won't be a popular answer, but I don't think you should get chickens if your wife doesn't want them. They are more work than you might expect, and I would treat them as you would any other major decision. You should be in agreement with each other before jumping in.
smile.png

Get some good chicken books and see if she will read them with you. Maybe she'll change her mind, and then you can both participate and have fun with chickens.
smile.png
I have SO enjoyed my 3 girls, and they have been a ton of fun for our whole family, but they do take work and time, and we can't really travel far because we don't know anyone who would care for them more than a couple times in a few days.

Predators come in more shapes than just 'wild' animals. Your neighbors cat can do just as much damage to young or small chickens as a raccoon or coyote. Your coop/tractor/run has to be secure against all of them. I think this might be one very important point for you to consider, since you will be trying to convince your wife to get chickens. She may agree, only to freak out later if one of them gets killed. You don't want that to happen.

Quote:
I have to say in the seven years I've lived in my house, I've never even seen a squirrel, not to mention a raccoon, coyote or others. But There are lots of cats, so that will be my primary concern.

Back
Top Bottom