Help! I need to rescue these 4 eggs from my broody!

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so my hen was sitting on 8 eggs and she hatched 4. She left the other 4 eggs behind last night or this morning and I didn't know! They were cold but I opened one anyway to see if they were dead. The one I opened was alive! I didn't damage the membrane but I saw it breathing through the membrane. The membrane is still white but it is wrapped pretty closely around the chick. Should I open these eggs or let them be? I rushed inside and put them in the incubator with my eggs due in 4 days. Went ahead and bumped my humidity to 60% and opened the air vents. Should I open the eggs and try to help the chick get out or should I leave it be?? The chick doesn't seem to be moving anymore. Help please!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-103554_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-103554_Snapchat.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210917-103548_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-103548_Snapchat.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 6
Anybody? The chick is still alive. I chipped away a bit more shell but the membrane is still intact other then a small hole where the chicks beak is. Should I keep chipping away or should I leave it be?

Do you see any veins? Had it tried breaking the membrane? Have you tried candling any of them?

I candled one of them real quick and didn't see any veins but I don't know. One of the eggs was rocking back and forth when I put it in the incubator. The one that is opened is chirping at me when I make noise. I have removed most of the shell and left the membrane intact to see if that would make it easier for them to get out.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-145109_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-145109_Snapchat.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210918-145113_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-145113_Snapchat.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210918-145116_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-145116_Snapchat.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 5
Has it broken through the internal membrane?(internal pip?)
At this stage it will be hard to determine what day if development it's on and keeping that membrane pliable is most important right now. Rub it with triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief and that should help keep things moist.

If it has pipped, keep an eye out for gaping - this activity means it is drawing the yolk into it's abdomen and you should leave it alone.

If it has not pipped the membrane, a shell repair may be in order - you'll want another egg of similar or larger size - boil the shell to sterilize and soften the shell and cut it to size so you can put it over top of the exposed egg. It can be held in place with clear nail polish or some medical tape. It may be a little late for this sort of repair, just use your best judgement on how for along you think it is and keep those membranes moist!

ideally you don't want to be opening your Bator constantly - if there's a small room you can keep warm and bump up the humidity, that may be a better place to work.

I use the shower room, heat in full blast to get the room nice and steamy when I'm assisting. Unfortunately, this little one is going to need a lot of support in the coming hours if it's going to make it.

Back
Top Bottom