Help - I need to sex my chicks !

Thanks everyone. Ive decided i will probably just wait until theyre all grown up & decide from then. Im having another dilemma now.. I have a broody silkie hen that is sitting on 12 eggs. I was told all of the silkies were hens. The eggs are DEFINATELY fertilized & so are the other hens eggs. & i cant seem to tell who is who - unless my rhode island red roo or Turken roo is the daddy...
hu.gif

Yes i know !!! HOw crazy would that look !?! & i posted again about my unfortunate run in with a broken egg today. I was going to candle one of her eggs & my daughter bumped into me & i dropped the egg.
hit.gif
there was a baby in it. so theres no doubt, going to be chicks soon ! I cant wait to see what theyre mixed with. but i guess if theyre all silkies, i must have a roo in there that is disguising himself as a hen..

Quote:
Oh, Dear God, that was more than I was ready for!
th.gif

Hold on while I catch my breath...........

----------------------------------------------------

So 'Showgirls' are an actual breed, apparently. I mean, like on purpose? I've heard of them, of course, but had little idea. They are hideous, aren't they? Certainly not for the likes of me to appreciate. But hey, hats off to those who can!
bow.gif

It dawns on me, as I look at those pics, that whomever named them had an interesting sense of humor, eh?

I guess it is true what they say about beauty...

Last edited:
davaroo you crack me up. yes ive seen these "showgirls".. ive always loved turkens & ive adored silkies so hey - why not mix the two !!!! & to think thats what they look like.. well i guess ill be posting when the chickies hatch & we'll all know whos the daddy...

Try leg sexing them. Gently hold a chick upside down until they relax, and if both legs are pointed straight out its most likely a male, and if only one leg sticks out its most likely a pullet. Do this 2 or 3 times just to double check with each chick. Once they do that the way they relax is set in stone (and hopefully their gender
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom