Help! I put sand in the coop, and they don't like it.

Wisegirl99

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
I read in so many places that sand is the best thing to have in the coop. It's easy to clean up, it doesn't leave a smell, and insulates from heat and cold... Well, yesterday we put 3 in deep of sand in our coop and our chickens are terrified of it! They act like it's hot lava on the ground, they step on the edge of the
opening and fly straight up to the roost. I thought that chickens really loved sand in the coop, is there a way that I can get them to step in it? I sprinkled some cracked corn down, but they still haven't tried walking in it.

They dont like change. They will get used to it. Try putting some boss in there or something they like to eat to encourage them to walk on it then theyll see it's not lava. When I switched from pine shavings to more of a saw dust texture pine bedding in the coop mine flipped out too. And when my run flooded I put down blue tarps so they had dry places to stand they were petrified of then till I threw blueberries on them. The fear was gone when they realized it wasn't going to kill them.

They dont like change. They will get used to it. Try putting some boss in there or something they like to eat to encourage them to walk on it then theyll see it's not lava. When I switched from pine shavings to more of a saw dust texture pine bedding in the coop mine flipped out too. And when my run flooded I put down blue tarps so they had dry places to stand they were petrified of then till I threw blueberries on them. The fear was gone when they realized it wasn't going to kill them.

Lol! Chickens are so funny! Thanks for your reply!

Oh my gosh! They hate change! My hubby has been insulating our coop so 2 days ago he changed the pine shavings to make it easier for him to work. The new shavings are a different size from the old ones. Yesterday I only got three eggs in protest of the change. ( I usually get 6 or 7)

Definitely put it in your composter! Start saving leaves so that you can add some when you need to. Chicken poop is GOLD for the garden, although it needs to age some before using on the veggie bed. I'm leaving mine to age for a year, but we get very cold winters where all the composting action stops for many months.

I'm still brand new to keeping chickens... I had straw in the coop before, so I scooped the straw and put it behind pine trees before. But now just having clumps of poop, not sure what to do with it.
I'm not 100% sure about straight poop in the tumbler, I don't have one. I throw my chicken manure in the garden during off season.

Back
Top Bottom