Help I ran out of feed!!! What can I go buy at a local grocery store?

She said she's has to leave for 3 days.

I would go to a big store and get:

Oats
Wheat berries (if you can find them) or maybe even the whole grain cream of wheat?
barley
millet
sunflower seeds
maybe corn meal, I might even pop some popcorn on the stove (no salt/butter obviously)
Flax seed
Box of bird seed
Bag of black oil sunflower seed

Basically I would get a mixture of whatever types of whole grains my supermarket had and mix it all up together, trying to get at least some that have a decent amount of protein. If it fills them, it should be ok for a couple of days. Just get them back on regular feed soon.

Well everyone here is a life saver and I am a HE not a She
lol.png

5811_112715951945_621756945_2764402_3632759_n.jpg

I went to the grocery store, got a large bag of brown rice, original oat meal and a bag of kracklin corn.

Get home and go to get my small tin that I keep my organick lay chicken feed in and its very low, I then go to my tin lided can to see and there is a full can of organic chicken feed???????????

My wife (who is not the chicken person in the house) thought it was gravel?

So, I took the tin can and all the others things I bought and mixed it good, so WE IS COVER'D!

Wow, that stuff freaks me OUT! PANICK ZONE!

Thanks So Much

Jerry Stealth Chicken Owner in Long Beach!

You've already solved the problem but for the future what I would suggest are these:

Wild bird seed, especially if it has sunflower seeds and/or a little corn in it.
Rolled oats, the thick kind is best.
Rice, particularly brown rice.
If your local groceries should happen to have wheat berries or just about any sort of whole grain add those in as well.

A mix of the above would be best.

Bread, preferably whole unsliced loaves if you can put it in a basket that they can reach into to peck at it.

This is the sort of stuff you can leave in a feeder for three days and it won't rot but will keep the birds more or less nourished until you can get back and get them some more nutritionally complete food.

Back
Top Bottom