Help, I think I got my first rooster

mtn_bob

Songster
Jul 31, 2019
Republic of Texas
My Coop
My Coop
First a bit of background so no one will have to ask. We have 6 hens just past 3 years old, ave 4 eggs/day. Got them as 3 day olds. They have a large run and free range part time. So I have managing them down pretty well. We have 10 Australorps that are 17 days old. It looks like we might have a rooster. I have a lot of questions, so can anyone recommend a good source of info. Besides BYC, of course, but I have lots of questions and don’t want to be a pest here asking newbie questions. (Yes I know how to use search J ). Example questions:

When the nine Australorps are laying, (so 15 total hens) how many fertile eggs could I expect? What if that’s more than I want? I don’t imagine I can just tell the rooster to knock it off. Lock him up? How do you get a hen to go broody when you want – I’m guessing they go broody when THEY want. I see lots of info about incubating, but they usually assume you have electricity or a broody hen, what if you don’t have either? No doubt many more will come to mind. Thanks in advance to all.

When the nine Australorps are laying, (so 15 total hens) how many fertile eggs could I expect?
It depends. Sometimes the rooster has one or two favorite hens, or sometimes he likes to mate with the entire flock. On average, I'd expect at least half your eggs to be fertile after the rooster begins mating the hens. A ratio of 15 to 1 is pretty big, so you may have trouble getting your rooster to fertilize the eggs. Some folks are lucky and have a flock of 15-20 hens and get 90-100% fertility rates.
It comes down to the individual rooster and his fertility rates.

What if that’s more than I want?
What do you mean? Are you talking about overbreeding? Egg fertility shouldn't be a problem if you are or are not planning to hatch the eggs if that's what you're asking.

How do you get a hen to go broody when you want – I’m guessing they go broody when THEY want.
There is really no proven method to get a hen to go broody. Many folks put golf balls in the nest box to attract the hens to the nest and give them the urge to sit on the eggs. And yes, you are correct, the hens go broody at their own convenience...
Again, it really depends on the individual bird. What breeds do you have, other than the Australorps?
but they usually assume you have electricity or a broody hen, what if you don’t have either?
Some folks have attempted homemade incubators, but I personally would not recommend doing so.
There is no way of hatching if you do not have electricity or a broody hen, other than homemade incubation- which, again, I do not recommend.

Please do not be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help.

Good luck.

If you want to hatch your own eggs get a little incubator. If you don't have electricity yourself, ask a friend if you can plug your incubator in at their house.

Separate your rooster with your best, most beautiful hens (breed best to best). Four is sufficient. Leave them together for a couple of days, just to be sure he is doing his job. The hens will lay fertile eggs for two weeks, then fewer fertile eggs for another couple of weeks. So, when you have enough fertile eggs for the little brooder, put them in it. Once they are kept warm it should take 21 days to hatch. This will give you a batch of chicks and you repeat when you want more.

Thanks, lots of good info. My current flock is 2 RIRs ,2 Barred Rocks, 1 Amber link and 1 GL Wyandot .
So, showing my ignorance, if an egg is fertilized, but not incubated or brooded, nothing happens? You just eat them?
About no electricity, I was thinking about when no one has it, no just me.

My current flock is 2 RIRs ,2 Barred Rocks, 1 Amber link and 1 GL Wyandot .
Those are not generally very broody breeds, but I've had my GLW go broody as well as 2 of by Barred Rocks.
So you may get lucky.

So, showing my ignorance, if an egg is fertilized, but not incubated or brooded, nothing happens? You just eat them?
Yes. Completely safe to eat them.
Nothing starts developing until 1.5-2 days of incubation.

I have had BA's go broody, and make good broody hens.

When you cook, keep a tally sheet on the counter, and look and see if you can find the bullseye. Sometimes it is easy to see, sometimes it is hard to see and takes a bit of practice. When you are getting 90% or more fertility rate, you can set with confidence. Most people will have a hard time telling the difference at first. The fertilized egg is dormant unless held at 100 degrees for 24 hours+. So you won't be opening up a partial chick if you collect eggs fairly regularly.

However don't expect all of the eggs set to hatch. Once on here, people turned in a huge amount of data - where we added to the previous count set, and the count hatched and with in a small amount of time 50% was average. Which of course means some were above that, and some below that. I hope for 50%, more is fun, less is a fact of life.

As for the rooster, I think your set up is about as perfect as it can be for getting a good rooster. These chicks will be raised up under older hens. Avoid making a pet from him, let the old girls manage things and cross your fingers.

DO KNOW - that not all roosters are great roosters and a huge amount of them are rotten. I have had chickens for years, and truthfully I have come to the conclusion that it is really just a crap shoot, and there is not really anything people can do and get a perfect rooster.

If he does not turn out, cull him.

MRs K

I see lots of info about incubating, but they usually assume you have electricity or a broody hen, what if you don’t have either?

I think that most of your questions have been answered other than this one.

This is not cheap, but here you go: https://www.lehmans.com/product/kerosene-powered-chicken-egg-incubator/

344462.jpg

It's a kerosene powered incubator.

Back
Top Bottom