HELP! I think my chicken has NARCOLEPSY!

chickita

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
"Lucky", our sole survivor of a fox attack is in need of help! (she lost her mother and 2 sisters) She seemed fine until last week...

She is now chronically sleepy and can barely keep her eyes open. She could be in the middle of eating and then within seconds fall asleep. Can she have "narcolepsy" for chicks?! Could she be sick from the trauma of losing her family?

Lucky has been in a crate because we fear she will be scooped up by a hawk or other predator since she falls asleep right in the middle of the driveway! She barely eats and drinks because she is always tired. Today she ate 3 crickets, however, we noticed she had a difficult time with perception. We wonder if her eyesight is going bad? Is there an antibiotic we can give her? We read that maybe we should give her electrolites? (Gatorade ok?) Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm sorry, but I just had this thought of this little chick running around gaffawing like patrick(on spongebob!) crazily, then mid-run,falling over asleep...

this does sound odd, I dunno

There is definitely something wrong with her...not like narcolepsy. We need more information to be able to help you. Like, how old is she? What kind of food are you giving her? What are her droppings like? Etc....whatever you can tell us.

Electrolytes and vitamins might help, but it's hard to say without more information. I bought a powder called Vi-Tal (vitamin electrolyte mix)...you just add a small amount to the water. Also, you could try giving her yogurt for the probiotics.

I agree with the other posts. We need more information and maybe you should post this under Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. You may get more feedback.

Sorry, I thought I had this listed under Emergencies...

She's about 3 months old and in addition to regular chick feed that you buy from the feedmill, she eats crickets, bugs and grass. As of this past week though, she has only been eating chick feed and crickets that we give her by hand since she's been put in a crate to protect her from any predators. At first we thought she was being picked on by the other 2 hens and their 3 chicks because she sort of looked haggered, but at closer examination, I think she was just getting her feathers. Her feathers are still coming in and she physically looks ok. When I put her out to get some fresh air and sunshine, she will have the energy to walk around (sometimes stumbles), but I noticed that she has trouble catching bugs, doesn't seem as sharp as she used to be. This is where I was concerned if her vision was going bad since she kept missing the cricket I had for her. I saw her poop yesterday and it was brown and not has soft as I've typically seen it. (although I'm not an expert, but appears to be a little more constipated?) I would guess she sleeps 80% of the day...we try to make sure she's eating and drinking as much as possible but it's hard to force her when she just droops her head and falls asleep. She sleeps ion straw/hay and we have a heat lamp to keep her warm. Should I be getting an eyedrop and forcing food into her? I will post pictures of her tomorrow, maybe that will help.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I can't bear to lose another one (having chickens has been so emotionally draining for me!) They are like pets to us...

Please let me know if there is anything else in particular you need. I hope this info helps. Thank you!!!!!

Is the feed a grain or a pellet or crumble? Can you type the label to us? Does it have vitamins?

Is she a crested bird? Can you put her on shavings? Hay in close quarters can cause issues with her respiratory system. It's also not as dry and clean. Is it winter there?

Definitey she sounds like she needs a little more time outside - perhaps a dog kennel might be in order for day time play time. Birds need light and sunshine to properly use their food.

Also I'd consider yogurt and vitamins for her to boost her immune system and nutrition.

Otherwise I'll wait for your answers to the above questions. I'm sorry about your losses to predators.
sad.png
Heartbreaking.

Some 'chick starter' feed is only formulated for chick's up to six weeks old and then you have to switch to a 'grower' feed. You might want to double check the label on the feed & see what age range it's recommended for.

Gatorade is alright to use for electrolytes in a pinch.

Maybe treats of fruit could help with energy, too?

Also, I've had a pullet that was getting thin lately because of hiding out from vigorous roos. I put a chicken saddle on to protect her back, & started playing "Point-&-Cluck" with her at night. That's where you get her from the coop & take a flashlight & walk around the outside of the house looking for yummy bugs. When you see one, you shine the flashlight on it, cluck like a head rooster announcing dinnertime, & hold the chicken close to the bug. I got a bunch of earwigs, roly-poly bugs & moths down my pullet that way (She loved the live bugs, but had been showing little interest in eating "static" food). She had more some energy after the first night & by the third night wanted to be put down to run around the porch herself & collect bugs. What a blessed relief!
wee.gif

Hello...here's the latest.
I checked the bag and my husband told me that she is on grower pellets. The feed came in a big feed bag without any information on it.

This afternoon Lucky ate some bits of peaches and drank tomato juice and seeds. I gave her a little bit of gatorade, but she didn't really drink it. I will try again later. We put her crate outside so she could get some fresh air during the day and sunshine. Thank you for the advice. I also attached a picture (this was after 5 seconds of walking on the grass and then she fell asleep again)
roll.png

15311_img_1105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom