Help I think my hen has a trapped egg…

Hi hun
Oh thank goodness, let’s hope that’s the last of it. Wonder what it was 🤔
If only a little shell came out was it the obvious (I don’t want to say it ), does something given dissolve the shell ? I don’t understand.
Can anyone wiser than me explain the repair process ? As I am a bit of a geek 🥸
Hugz

Hi hun
Oh thank goodness, let’s hope that’s the last of it. Wonder what it was 🤔
If only a little shell came out was it the obvious (I don’t want to say it ), does something given dissolve the shell ? I don’t understand.
Can anyone wiser than me explain the repair process ? As I am a bit of a geek 🥸
Hugz
I’m not sure but I’m keeping a very close eye on her! She is only one of two big hens we have so I can easily identify her eggs. I work from home so she will be seeing my face most of they day lol. I’ll call the vet and see what they say. I also have the British hen welfare trust number. For hen health helpline when you adopt one of there hens. I’ll be reaching out to them too. Thank you all for your support!

Ask the vet for a broad spectrum antibiotic to treat possible infection starting in her oviduct from the broken egg. Meloxicam alone isn't going to treat it. She also probably does not need a pain reliever now that the crisis is over.

She will need a calcium supplement to boost her blood calcium, though, to prevent a further occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom