Help I think my hen is broody!!!

That's her on the top left the white chicken and those are the other girls I have eggs from that she is setting on and that's the rooster.

No matter what size, really, the less interference the better. Should you decide to candle all the eggs be sure to wash your hands. So much of the stuff we use every day can affect a developing embryo. If the hen is calm when you look at the nest, so much the better. One of my silkies likes being given treats while sitting on the nest. And she's not the least bit protective of eggs and chicks as far as I am concerned. Her sister is just the opposite; strictly hands off. Last weekend I tried to catch one of her two week old chicks and I ended up catching nothing but having a scratched and bloody hand for my trouble. It is very important that the eggs, hen, and nest be left untouched while the eggs hatch. Tame hen or not, it doesn't matter. Eggs smash easy when they are hatching. A egg that has the shell smashed in often does not hatch. The best way to avoid this is by using a hands off policy.

Ok I'll just let her be and wait for my surprise unless I start to smell something bad. I think she might be eating cuz there is some food inside the water dish and I moved the food so the other chickens wouldn't get to it. I just don't see any poop yet.

Ok I'll just let her be and wait for my surprise unless I start to smell something bad. I think she might be eating cuz there is some food inside the water dish and I moved the food so the other chickens wouldn't get to it. I just don't see any poop yet.

Poop-most likely the hen is eating her own poop, or, maybe someone else? Make sure her diet is complete. Animals often eat poop when there is something lacking in their diet. But don't be overly concerned. What kind of bedding is in the cage? Hens scratch and dig; even broody hens. Could the poop be buried/ At any rate, don't worry. As long as the hen is acting normally there's most likely nothing wrong.

I put chick starter in there and her water. There is hay then pine shavings and then the original nest that was in the nest box.

Just in case she is lacking nutrients give her a piece of sod; dirt, roots, and greens; Make sure there are no sprays on it and that it is just grasses, dandelions are OK too. If there is red worms or night crawlers so much the better. It does not have to be a large piece. Put it into a deeper container so that the sod stays intact until she comes off the nest to eat.

Well she's doing good in the new kennel. She's still setting on her eggs but like I was saying on another post I'm worried about her not pooping but she may be drinking and eating so I think that's good. I did candle 4 of the eggs on day 5 and did see blood veins and black blob thing. She should hatch them June 5 fingers crossed.. I'll keep Yall updated just wish I would see some poop.

I wonder if shes holding it in. I know my girl Chicky would hold it in until i manually removed her to go poop but id have to time it so no more than 2 mins would pass and leave the eggs covered with the edge of a towel she was sitting on so as to minimize temperature loss. :l Idk what to tell you though.

Yea I think she is holding it but I don't want to let her out cuz idt she will go back to her nest then I have to try and chase her it takes almost an hour trying to put her back in. She seems to go back to the old laying nest box so I really don't want to let her out but I don't want anything to happen if she's not pooping for eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom