Help! I think my hen is dying!

WVmom

Hatching
9 Years
May 18, 2010
I went to the chicken coop this morning and found one of my hens lying in the floor of the coop. Her eyes are closed, she is barely moving, and her breathing is very labored. I've seen no signs of her being sick before today. Is there anything I can try to do to help her? I hate seeing her suffering and I have no idea what could be wrong. All the other chickens seem fine right now.

Quote:
I wish I knew. Any changes since this morning? How old is she? If she is of laying age, did you check for egg binding? I'm hoping someone can offer you some advice.
Best wishes.

Quote:
I wish I knew. Any changes since this morning? How old is she? If she is of laying age, did you check for egg binding? I'm hoping someone can offer you some advice.
Best wishes.

Thank you. She passed away this afternoon.
hit.gif
This morning, I was in such a rush I didn't even go into much detail about her. She was a Barred Rock, almost 1 1/2 yrs old, and a good layer. We've lost 4 chickens to predators, but we've never had one of our hens get sick like this. It was just so fast! Thankfully, my other chickens seem alright for the time being.

Quote:
Best wishes.

Thank you. She passed away this afternoon.
hit.gif
This morning, I was in such a rush I didn't even go into much detail about her. She was a Barred Rock, almost 1 1/2 yrs old, and a good layer. We've lost 4 chickens to predators, but we've never had one of our hens get sick like this. It was just so fast! Thankfully, my other chickens seem alright for the time being.

Oh, for Heaven's sake. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Have you thought about sending her for post-mortem exam? It may help you know what caused this, and prevent issues with your remaining hens...
sad.png

Thank you both! We are going to do our best to find out what was wrong with her. I certainly don't want to lose any more of my girls like this!

Sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through. Generally speaking, when birds exhibit signs of illness, it is almost already too late to help them. Not that it stops me from doing everything possible and hoping for a good outcome. I am sorry that was not the case for you.

Back
Top Bottom