Help! I think my hen is dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WVmom, Sep 15, 2010.

1. WVmom

WVmom New Egg

May 18, 2010
    I went to the chicken coop this morning and found one of my hens lying in the floor of the coop. Her eyes are closed, she is barely moving, and her breathing is very labored. I've seen no signs of her being sick before today. Is there anything I can try to do to help her? I hate seeing her suffering and I have no idea what could be wrong. All the other chickens seem fine right now.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I wish I knew. Any changes since this morning? How old is she? If she is of laying age, did you check for egg binding? I'm hoping someone can offer you some advice.
    Best wishes.

3. WVmom

WVmom New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Quote:I wish I knew. Any changes since this morning? How old is she? If she is of laying age, did you check for egg binding? I'm hoping someone can offer you some advice.
    Best wishes.

Thank you. She passed away this afternoon. [​IMG] This morning, I was in such a rush I didn't even go into much detail about her. She was a Barred Rock, almost 1 1/2 yrs old, and a good layer. We've lost 4 chickens to predators, but we've never had one of our hens get sick like this. It was just so fast! Thankfully, my other chickens seem alright for the time being.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Best wishes.

Thank you. She passed away this afternoon. [​IMG] This morning, I was in such a rush I didn't even go into much detail about her. She was a Barred Rock, almost 1 1/2 yrs old, and a good layer. We've lost 4 chickens to predators, but we've never had one of our hens get sick like this. It was just so fast! Thankfully, my other chickens seem alright for the time being.

Oh, for Heaven's sake. I'm so sorry.

5. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

Have you thought about sending her for post-mortem exam? It may help you know what caused this, and prevent issues with your remaining hens...[​IMG]

6. WVmom

WVmom New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Thank you both! We are going to do our best to find out what was wrong with her. I certainly don't want to lose any more of my girls like this!

7. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    I'm so sorry.

8. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through. Generally speaking, when birds exhibit signs of illness, it is almost already too late to help them. Not that it stops me from doing everything possible and hoping for a good outcome. I am sorry that was not the case for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by