HELP! I think poultry drench got into Lungs. What do I do??

CrazyChickns

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 12, 2016
Southeastern PA
This hen that I have has a respiratory infection and I was giving her 1 cc of poultry drench and now she is having trouble breathing and keeps coughing. I put it in her mouth on her tongue and let it slide down her throat but I guess she breathed it in. Is there anything I can do??

Are you treating her any other way for the respiratory infection? The biggest problem with aspirating fluids is respiratory infection (next to choking to death). If you aren't already, I would start giving her some antibiotics. I have used Tylan in the past and that has worked for me.

Please don't try to force any more liquids on her. As you have already experienced, it is incredibly easy for them to aspirate. If she absolutely can't drink any fluids on her own, have a vet give her some.

I treated her and two others for 7 days with .5 cc twice a day with tylan 50 but they still sound a little wheezy so they are still separated from the flock. It's been 3 or 4 days since I stopped. And don't worry, I will NEVER be forcing anymore liquids after that. She seems to be doing ok but like I said, they're still a little wheezy. They sounded horrible before I started the antibiotics but showed no signs of weakness and were quite lively, and still are. 2 to 3 days in and they were about 80% better but then kind of stopped improving. I don't really know what to do. I'm afraid to give them more antibiotics because they have already gotten a lot. I have tylan powder on its way in the mail so I have it on hand if I need it like, if any of the other chickens were to get sick I wont have to inject them.

Back
Top Bottom