Help ID mystery chicks

There are two that started out as classic yellow chicks, and their wings seem to be pure white. Leghorns?
View attachment 2858286View attachment 2858287

Then there are two of these. They started out with light but definite stripes of pale brown on white/yellow on their head, but they're getting harder to tell apart from the yellow/white chicks.
View attachment 2858291View attachment 2858292

My daughter calls this one Tiger. I have no guesses.
View attachment 2858293View attachment 2858294
First set of white ones are either white rocks or leghorns. Earlobe color will help determine.
Second set look like they have green legs?
In that case most likely some of the hybrid layers that hatcheries have these days
Tiger looks like a gold or silver laced Wyandotte, I can not see the comb well enough.

The stars have finally aligned and internet is back up for a few minutes! Here is a picture of Ugly Duckling's comb, the black and white chick's legs (not sure the color comes through well, but after comparing to the definitely yellow legs, I would call her legs white), and the comb of one of the light striped chicks. Interestingly, one of the light striped chicks definitely has green legs (as does Ugly Duckling), but the other light striped one doesn't. Their feather patterns are similar but not identical as they get bigger. Maybe they aren't the same breed? Or could that all be variation among Easter Eggers?

And a general question: my understanding is that Ameraucana is a true breed (offspring will have same characteristics as parents) developed to avoid lethal characteristics of the Araucanas while preserving their colored eggs; while Easter Egger is a general term for an unstable hybrid (offspring may not have the same characteristics) which should nevertheless produce colored eggs. Is that right? And should I understand that all birds which will produce blue or green eggs will have green legs? Because the three chipmunk-striped chicks which folks were suggesting as EEs all definitely have yellow legs.

Attachments

• 20211008_140454.jpeg
    20211008_140454.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211008_140713.jpeg
    20211008_140713.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211008_141434.jpeg
    20211008_141434.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 3
No, leg color has nothing to do with egg color. Though many of the more traditional “Easter Eggers” have green legs. Many of the newer hatchery hybrids have yellow legs and they usually lay a green egg.😊
The one being held in the first photo looks to be a silver laced Wyandotte.

The chicks are 10 weeks old now. Here are some updated pictures:

20211130_091741.jpeg

These two definitely look like gold lace Wyandotte and silver spangled Hamburg. I especially like the silver. She's smaller than the other birds, but so elegant.

20211130_091856.jpeg

These I believe are 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Anconas (the assortment was supposed to produce a variety of egg colors, not all brown).

20211130_091748.jpeg

A general picture. White Leghorn in one corner. Brown in the middle I think is also an Easter Egger, she has a pretty noticeable muff.

20211130_092024.jpeg

This one is quite large, with feathered feet. Are the reddish brown neck feathers consistent with cochin? I had read that roosters can be identified by break-throughs of color in the hackles. Does that apply here? I was really hoping this one would be a hen, since either a Brahma or a cochin should be a good broody.

20211130_092009.jpeg

20211130_091937.jpeg

When this one was a chick lots of people suggested barred rock, but with the grey legs I think it's more likely to be a cuckoo Marans? After comparing lots of pictures I still can't quite tell the difference between barring and cuckoo, but the older this one gets the less distinct I think the pattern is. Also, rooster? This one is very big and close to the top of the pecking order.

Attachments

• 20211130_091856.jpeg
    20211130_091856.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 2
The feather-footed lady with the gold hackles might be a Black Copper Marans. She doesn't look floofy enough for a Cochin to me.

Our Silver-Laced Cochins have such long, full foot feathers that I occasionally step on them when they're crowding closely around my ankles as I work in the coop/run.

The feather-footed lady with the gold hackles might be a Black Copper Marans. She doesn't look floofy enough for a Cochin to me.

Our Silver-Laced Cochins have such long, full foot feathers that I occasionally step on them when they're crowding closely around my ankles as I work in the coop/run.
Oh, I didn't realize Marans could have feather feet also. This one's feathers are very noticeable compared to the other birds, but nowhere that length, at least at this age.

Back
Top Bottom