Help ID these ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shmccarthy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    At the mill pond today, I saw a lot of really pretty ducks. I never had ducks so I have no idea what breed they are and I was hoping some of you could help me figure out what these guys are? I plan on getting ducks sometime in the future, and I would like to get some of whatever these guys are.
    [​IMG]
    Photo 1 I really like the one on the right :)
    [​IMG]
    Photo 2 I also thought the white colored one in the middle with the dark bill was really pretty
    [​IMG]
    Photo 3 The black duck in the middle also, this is the closest this one would get and I really liked this one too. It was a lot smaller than the first pictures ones.
    [​IMG]
    Photo 4 Lastly this one on the left

Any guesses?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not an expert on ducks but the black one looks like a Cayuga, the buff colored ones are Fawn and White Runners.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In photo 1 might the one on the right be a magpie?

4. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks for taking the time to answer! I searched those breeds and they look like the ducks I saw today. :) I'm thinking someone must've released them there...definitely not michigan ducks haha

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Lovely ducks. Are there people in your are who rescue dumped domestics? That would make a big difference in the likelihood of them surviving.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Not that I know of. This is the millpond that is a few towns over. If I had adequate means as of right now I would take them, because they are beautiful ducks but I do not. The animal shelter in my town though occasionally takes in chickens and I will probably put a call in to see if they know any places that will take them. I would hate to see anything happen to them.

7. Angie Poo

Angie Poo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho
    The one on the right in the first picture could either be a magpie or Ancona. It is really hard to tell from the picture but both breeds are beautiful.

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The duck on the right could just be a mix, I haven't seen a Magpie or Ancona with that much white in its plumage. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Anc/BRKAnconaDuck.html http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Mags/BRKMagpie.html

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They all look like mixes to me except one looks like a fawn and white Indian runner. The white duck with the dark bill might be a a runner, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by