HELP! Ideal chicks came a week early! I'm not prepared!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyb1969, Aug 15, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I ordered chicks from Ideal and was told they would ship on 8/20. Well guess what, they arrived today! I am not set up with my brooder yet! I got them temporarily set up for tonight, but I'm concerned with their bedding. What should I use? I've got newspaper in there now, because that's all I've got. But I read that newspaper could cause them to become sprattle-legged. Is the newspaper ok for a day or two? These are black, silver laced, and golden laced bantam cochin babies...and they are sooooo cute. [​IMG] I will post pics as soon as I get over the shock of "premature" chickies! I'm not upset that they arrived early, but I'm very upset that I wasn't notified that they would be coming. I was 40 miles from home when I got the call from the post office! :mad:

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I would use paper Towels instead of the newspaper. Your chickes sound adorable, can't wait to see pics!

3. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Do you have any paper towels? They don't get slick like newspaper and you can use them for a couple of weeks.

4. shelleyb1969

Thanks for such quick help! I'm changing the newspaper out to paper towels now!

5. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Is that what your email said? I am on next week's shipping too. Maybe I'll call the PO.

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:Yes, that's what my email confirmation said. And today I had the post office and Ideal Hatchery in a frenzy because they couldn't reach me to go pick up my chicks! [​IMG] Maybe if I had known, I would've been home. [​IMG] Needless to say, I did voice my opinion to Ideal regarding their shipping procedure. What if I had been gone out of state on vacation or something? I hate to think of what would've happened to these precious little guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by