Help! Ideas to Maximize Run Addition?

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
Finally adding to the run of the (stationary) Tractor coop on the Left. Adding 8' to that west side, going the entire length back.
*ROOF: I'd kind of like to use something other than sheet metal for the extension. I've read about people using translucent corrugated panels (I'm assuming Poly Carb), & I like the idea of letting light in. Any red flags on using it, & on just attaching / overlapping it near the end of the current sheet metal? (The current metal roof is not insulated. I put a tarp on it during this past very cold winter.) Or any better suggestions?
*Adding VENTILATION: (a) HOT summers, & some Very cold (but short) winters. I'd like to cut into the enclosed coop for more ventilation, but need serious input. In the pics, the current run is on the right (north) side of this coop, & the run extension will be beyond the wall straight back (west). I'd like to take out a huge chunk (or all) of that back (west) wall, but then in the cold winters, would the plastic wrap I do on 3 walls of the run (all but the top couple inches) be enough? And would the birds reject sleeping in a coop with only 3 walls? // (b) I'd also like to cut into the wall to the right, but how much could I? I would think that I shouldn't have to worry about the height of the cutouts being above their heads (like I did with the other 3 cutouts, for that same reason) since it wouldn't head straight outside, is that correct? Note: in summer & during any rains, I use shade cloth on the run. In winter, the one "open" run wall has shade cloth on it (awning helps as well). / I do leave about 1/2 of that coop floor exposed, i.e., not covered with boards, to add to ventilation. / (c) Finally, there are currently some places in that coop where I could cut to either make the cutouts larger or cut holes of between 2 & 3" that should be able to stay open in the winter.
(*These pics don't show all the posts up yet, fyi.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-151737_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-151737_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20210608-152443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-152443_Gallery.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210608-152519_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-152519_Gallery.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210608-152339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-152339_Gallery.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210611_151510.jpg
    20210611_151510.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210611_151821.jpg
    20210611_151821.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210611_154229.jpg
    20210611_154229.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210612_205054.jpg
    20210612_205054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210612_205117.jpg
    20210612_205117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
I've read about people using translucent corrugated panels (I'm assuming Poly Carb), & I like the idea of letting light in. Any red flags on using it, & on just attaching / overlapping it near the end of the current sheet metal?
You have many plans ahead of you. I am still trying to visualize all that you described.
If I was in the backyard with you next to me, I would be able to offer much more, since a back and forth conversation is priceless, in conveying a message.
Let me offer some advice about what I do know. The Polycarbonate panels are good and I have them on the back of my garage as a overhead weather shield. Mine are a blue clear color, and it seem not available. Clear and smoke color are. Had mine up for over 20 years, and served me well. I have my panels supported every 2 feet, since I do encounter a significant snow load.
polycarbonate.PNG

There are also same size panels available in Fiberglass. which is stronger. Not available as commonly as the polycarbonate, but If you search,,,,,,,,, sure you can find some.
In my area, Menards carries them. I did not check other stores, but Home Depot does not have them listed .
menards fiberglass panel.PNG

The panels are comparably priced.

This is my input to your many questions.:frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I've read about people using translucent corrugated panels (I'm assuming Poly Carb), & I like the idea of letting light in. Any red flags on using it,

The use of clear panels is EXTREMELY dependent on climate. If I'd gone for a clear roof I'd be building a rotisserie rather than a coop because 95F with 95% humidity is my normal summer weather. But if I still lived up in the mountains they'd be a great option. :)

I'd like to cut into the enclosed coop for more ventilation, but need serious input. In the pics, the current run is on the right (north) side of this coop, & the run extension will be beyond the wall straight back (west). I'd like to take out a huge chunk (or all) of that back (west) wall, but then in the cold winters, would the plastic wrap I do on 3 walls of the run (all but the top couple inches) be enough?

I'm having trouble visualizing this (I may need another cup of coffee ;) ), but, again, climate.

Which direction do your storm winds come from? You want a solid wall to windward and the open side to the leeward.

Could you draw a sketch plan of the current arrangement and proposed changes with the prevailing winds and storm winds indicated? It doesn't have to be perfect. but would be helpful. :)

You have many plans ahead of you. I am still trying to visualize all that you described.
If I was in the backyard with you next to me, I would be able to offer much more, since a back and forth conversation is priceless, in conveying a message.
Let me offer some advice about what I do know. The Polycarbonate panels are good and I have them on the back of my garage as a overhead weather shield. Mine are a blue clear color, and it seem not available. Clear and smoke color are. Had mine up for over 20 years, and served me well. I have my panels supported every 2 feet, since I do encounter a significant snow load.
View attachment 2716244
There are also same size panels available in Fiberglass. which is stronger. Not available as commonly as the polycarbonate, but If you search,,,,,,,,, sure you can find some.
In my area, Menards carries them. I did not check other stores, but Home Depot does not have them listed .
View attachment 2716245

The panels are comparably priced.

This is my input to your many questions.:frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you for all this information!

The use of clear panels is EXTREMELY dependent on climate. If I'd gone for a clear roof I'd be building a rotisserie rather than a coop because 95F with 95% humidity is my normal summer weather. But if I still lived up in the mountains they'd be a great option. :)

I'm having trouble visualizing this (I may need another cup of coffee ;) ), but, again, climate.

Which direction do your storm winds come from? You want a solid wall to windward and the open side to the leeward.

Could you draw a sketch plan of the current arrangement and proposed changes with the prevailing winds and storm winds indicated? It doesn't have to be perfect. but would be helpful. :)
I will try... Not sure how it's going to look !🤪

I just learned of some free sheet metal - large pieces, certainly enough to add on to the existing roof and also make some awnings or overhangs. But when I asked if it was wavy/ridged or flat, the person said its peaks occur 1 ft apart. The current metal roof's ridges occur at probably 5" intervals at best. Does that sound like it could be suitable for a run roof and awnings?

Putting a new roof/run together could give me the opportunity to insulate at least the new one fairly readily, I imagine - something I'm looking forward to.

I just learned of some free sheet metal - large pieces, certainly enough to add on to the existing roof and also make some awnings or overhangs. But when I asked if it was wavy/ridged or flat, the person said its peaks occur 1 ft apart. The current metal roof's ridges occur at probably 5" intervals at best. Does that sound like it could be suitable for a run roof and awnings?

Putting a new roof/run together could give me the opportunity to insulate at least the new one fairly readily, I imagine - something I'm looking forward to.

Unless you're in a neighborhood with strict codes in re: aesthetics I wouldn't pass up free sheet metal of any kind. :)

I know, I'm being so slow with these pics! But here's the sheet metal I got. 4 sheets, 20' long. The non-overlapping width of each is 3'. I probably only needed 3 sheets total, for the roof and for long-overdue awnings for the human door and nest boxes, but we grabbed another just in case i think of something else to build! (That shouldn't be too difficult... Lol) Now we have to get the proper cutting blade.

Attachments

• 20210615_191139.jpg
    20210615_191139.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 34

Back
Top Bottom