Help! Ideas to Maximize Run Addition?

I hope these pics make sense. Remember, there's a small coop attached mid-east of this coop/run.
Purpose: My reason for adding more run is to add square footage, but I'd also love to add ventilation to the coop itself. So I'm looking for suggestions on how I could do that. But there's not much to work with, I'm afraid... However, by adding footage, I would have more room to install a swamp cooler or other cooling device.

I realize now that the windows I cut out of its walls could have been made larger, so I'd like to do that. However, I'd also love to just knock out all or a lot of the west wall of the coop. The strongest and coldest winds in my state come out of the north, so the most I could do on that wall would be to make a thin window up top for all year (or maybe that's Not a good idea for winter?) &/or a larger window only for the summer that could be closed up for winter.
Does the fact that about 1/2 the wire coop floor is exposed count as ventilation?
(In winter, the run is wrapped in plastic, on the n, e, & s walls; the w. wall is only covered in the same ventilating shade cloth that's up in the summer and on rainy days.)
Note: the only reason I keep bringing up the ramp to the coop in the pics is for viewers' orientation, & so that you can see that n. wall & where the w. wall is in relation to it.
Note: this metal roof is not insulated yet.
Note: the poles look illogical in one of the photos because of the angle I took the pic on. Yes, one is too tall & will be lopped, but they all widen the building west and lengthen it by extending back (north).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-013922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-013922_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210619-014728_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-014728_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210619-020126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-020126_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210619-020225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-020225_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210619-020924_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-020924_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210619-022151_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-022151_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210619-023223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-023223_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
One thing I've seen people here who live in HOT summer, COLD winter areas do is to open the coop into the roofed run for good summer airflow and then use plastic sheeting around the run walls (leaving the top open for ventilation), for winter.

Someone, I've forgotten who, has removable wall panels that change the coop from sheltered for winter to open air for summer.

I feel like I've seen that posted by someone here too! Dang, if I could remember who...or find it. I'll look that up later today.

Meanwhile... A removable panel for that W wall of the coop would be awesome. The new run wall would be some 8' away, & I do wrap the run in plastic as you described in winter, but on 3 of the walls. I could wrap the W, S, & N walls, leaving the E wall with just ventilating cloth (to keep snow out).

And I *may* possibly be able to cut into that N wall more than just at the top... Maybe a little drop-down at the top (over their heads), and then further down, a larger, removable panel taken out that could be popped back in if necessary in the winter. I imagine I could secure those removable panels with a really heavy duty version of a few hook-&-eye type of things (I think that might be easy enough to muse on).

When this project is done, my next one is finding very clever ways to add ventilation to that tiny roofed coop (the sort of "emergency" coop & run) that's attached to this building. I've read a lot on that here too, and have some ideas, but need to check with people who've actually had to do it themselves. **Maybe** I'll actually get this coop work done before Father Time comes knocking on my door! :old🥴

One thing I've seen people here who live in HOT summer, COLD winter areas do is to open the coop into the roofed run for good summer airflow and then use plastic sheeting around the run walls (leaving the top open for ventilation), for winter.

Someone, I've forgotten who, has removable wall panels that change the coop from sheltered for winter to open air for summer.
I have that option. If you go to my coop page I show how we did it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-desert-oasis-updated-2-2020.75224/

Back
Top Bottom