Help Identify boy or girl?

Here is a head on pic, although most people are saying it's a boy. Guess I'm gonna be changing Oprah Henfries name.
sad.png

102287_dscn5656.jpg

As far as egg laying with my other hens what do I do with the roo? Can he stay with them will the eggs from my pullets still be good? They aren't laying yet about another month.

I'd say cockerel... My EE girls are 18 weeks today and there combs are tiny and pink... He's very pretty by the way... or should I say handsome?

Quote:
I'm keeping my surprise EE cockerel as long as he behaves himself. I have young children so no aggression will be tolerated.

It doesn't change the eggs at all (other than that they could be incubated and hatched if desired) and I figured he might help with the predator situation around here. My boy started crowing recently but so far, it's only a few announcements when I first let them out in the morning (we live out in the sticks so no neighbor concerns). He's standoffish around people and just barely leads his flock (the higher order pullets don't necessarily take him seriously) but he's absolutely gorgeous so I'm hoping he mans up just a bit more and can at least keep the flock together.

That's good to know, He/ she is very friendly and great with the kids. He/she is the definite leader of the flock. As well I am hoping that he/she will provide provide protection for my girls. Like you I won't tolerate any aggression towards my family, but I hope with enough hands on and affection we won't see it. Thanks for sharing.

You should see some pointy saddles emerging soon (you might even be able to see them now by parting the feathers).

Back
Top Bottom