1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identify these hens please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicksngoats, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I bought the black one last year as a chick from the feed store. A breed that I hadn't heard of before but they we're very curious pullets and I came home with 2. I was sure I'd remember the name but even after searching breeds nothing rings a bell. It is a smaller hen, not a great layer and it stands very upright. I want to say it was a Japanese breed of some kind?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white one came to us a couple of months ago and I never had a chance to ask the owner what breed she was. She is very friendly and curious and I would love to get a few more. Is she a Sussex? Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The black one is either an australorp or a black jersey giant, depending on what color the bottoms of her feet are.

Yellow underfoot = Jersey Giant
    White Underfoot = Black Australorp

The white is a light sussex, I think.

3. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Thank you, I was thinking the light one was a Sussex, she is so sweet, I would love more. I kept looking online and finally found my black hen, she is actually a Langshan, although she is a hatchery bird so probably not a great representation of one, lol.

4. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Here's a better picture of her, much more upright and smaller than an Australop and Jersey Giant. Very hard to find information on!
    [​IMG]

5. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    I dont think she is a Langshan,they have feathered legs, and your hen is clean legged, feathered legs are dominant so I would expect at least a few feathers on her legs.

But if that's what you remember her being called, I just have a hard time believing it.

what color eggs does she lay?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, you black hen does not look like a Langshan. I would think that she would have feathered legs, at least partially. But, hatchery birds (which feed stores get their chicks from) often do not look like they should, so she could be a hatchery-quality Langshan.

7. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah, she doesn't look much like she should! I'm positive that's what the feed store had her labeled as, but in my experience hatchery birds are rarely a good representation of the breed.
    I believe hers is the egg on the left. The right is an orpingtons
    [​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by