Help identifying keet colours

rondspub

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 18, 2008
I'm still trying my darndest to learn. Hours pouring over pictures found online, and reading descriptions honestly leaves me even more confused sometimes. I think I have many figured out, but I have two from my most recent clutch that I'm not sure about.

The first I think may be a chocolate? I'm trying not to get my hopes up about that, because they are very rare where I live and I was not expecting to get any from my current pairings.

The third and fourth pictures are of what I originally thought was a lavender. As it dried, I realized that it is much lighter than my lavenders...so maybe a light lavender? (Are light lavenders fully pearled though?) I took a picture of it with a lavender and another keet for comparison. The other keet in the picture would be a male buff dundotte I think? I had lots of them hatch, some are much darker than others. I had read a fair bit about buff dundotte being auto sexing.

Attachments

• AA9B5569-F077-4B0B-AF05-6E4F41A41C4D.jpeg
    AA9B5569-F077-4B0B-AF05-6E4F41A41C4D.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2BD8445E-FAD4-43E9-BC72-294AA102CA46.jpeg
    2BD8445E-FAD4-43E9-BC72-294AA102CA46.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 7D4F4816-7ED5-4C7A-B37B-50ABA5ABBA33.jpeg
    7D4F4816-7ED5-4C7A-B37B-50ABA5ABBA33.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 8CA8C0E5-0373-4DD7-98E9-8FD1192262DD.jpeg
    8CA8C0E5-0373-4DD7-98E9-8FD1192262DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I'm still trying my darndest to learn. Hours pouring over pictures found online, and reading descriptions honestly leaves me even more confused sometimes. I think I have many figured out, but I have two from my most recent clutch that I'm not sure about.

The first I think may be a chocolate? I'm trying not to get my hopes up about that, because they are very rare where I live and I was not expecting to get any from my current pairings.

The third and fourth pictures are of what I originally thought was a lavender. As it dried, I realized that it is much lighter than my lavenders...so maybe a light lavender? (Are light lavenders fully pearled though?) I took a picture of it with a lavender and another keet for comparison. The other keet in the picture would be a male buff dundotte I think? I had lots of them hatch, some are much darker than others. I had read a fair bit about buff dundotte being auto sexing.
Number 0ne appears to be a Buff which is the semi-dotted version of a Buff Dundotte. It may be a female as dark as its coloring is. Females will be darker than males.

I agree that your lavender is a Lite Lavender. Yes Lite Lavenders are fully dotted just like regular Lavenders are.

I agree on your assessment of the male Buff Dundotte.

I don’t know much about these colors, but your keets are so beautiful!!! :love

I'm like you- I even have notes written down from R2Elk talking abt identifying squiggly lines and still....🤔
I'm down to 2, so created collages. Pretty sure the one is a gray, but the other -🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 20200808_162607.jpg
    20200808_162607.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200808_162359.jpg
    20200808_162359.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 12
Number 0ne appears to be a Buff which is the semi-dotted version of a Buff Dundotte. It may be a female as dark as its coloring is. Females will be darker than males.

I agree that your lavender is a Lite Lavender. Yes Lite Lavenders are fully dotted just like regular Lavenders are.

I agree on your assessment of the male Buff Dundotte.
Thank you for replying! Buff would make a lot more sense than chocolate. I just found that it did not look much at all like the pictures I found of buff keets, where it looked a lot like the pictures of chocolate keets. Pictures can be so deceiving though, so I'll just consider it a buff.

I was wondering about keets that appear near white, but have a faint wide stripe with the smaller stripes to the side on top of their heads. Some had stripes with a brown undertone, some leaned more towards blue. I was thinking porcelain and opaline, but once again became confused by conflicting descriptions I found online.

Is there anyone teaching Guinea genetics? I would love to be able to take some sort of weekend course on it so I can finally sort through all the differing info.

Thank you for replying! Buff would make a lot more sense than chocolate. I just found that it did not look much at all like the pictures I found of buff keets, where it looked a lot like the pictures of chocolate keets. Pictures can be so deceiving though, so I'll just consider it a buff.

I was wondering about keets that appear near white, but have a faint wide stripe with the smaller stripes to the side on top of their heads. Some had stripes with a brown undertone, some leaned more towards blue. I was thinking porcelain and opaline, but once again became confused by conflicting descriptions I found online.

Is there anyone teaching Guinea genetics? I would love to be able to take some sort of weekend course on it so I can finally sort through all the differing info.
When the Internet abandoned Huddler, many sites that had guinea fowl color genetic information disappeared. I am convinced that the study of guinea color is lacking a lot of good information.

I create Royal Purple Guineas by breeding a Chocolate male to a Coral Blue hen. If the currently available information is correct, it would mean that there had to have been a mutation since the claim is that Royal Purple have the dominant gray gene. I have produced far too many Royal Purples this way to believe that all my Royal Purples have been from a mutation.

I am also not convinced that the chocolate guinea is a product of the buff gene in conjunction with 2 DSV (dark shade variant). I suspect that chocolate guineas have their own color gene but I cannot prove this.

Color Genetics of Guinea Fowl has some information but be careful that you don't believe all of it. The person that wrote it is trying to promote the idea that the white gene in guineas works the same way it does in peafowl. There is no evidence to support this claim.

Back
Top Bottom