1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identifying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Noobiechickluv, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    A few days ago, I lost my flock to 3 feral dogs. I was devastated, but my husband said it just didn't feel right not having chickens, so we decided to go to the stockyard and see what was for sale. We went with the mindset that we were going to get a breed we knew, but hubby fell in love and bid on 12 of these pretty brown birds. Unfortunately, we have no idea what we have. Any help would be very appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A very good choice hubby! They are red sex links. Commonly called Comets or cherry eggers. Absolute egg laying machines!

3. meemnum1

meemnum1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    What sex is the RIR? And what breed is the cream colored one?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Thanks so much for the quick response.I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What sex is the RIR? And what breed is the cream colored one? [​IMG] [​IMG] [/quote The RIR is a hen (It is not nice to high jack threads) :)

6. meemnum1

meemnum1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Oh wait what did I do? :/

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Noobie--good call on the honey's part! Those are red sex links and are great layers of large brown eggs, friendly birds overall and don't eat a ton. Depending on how old they are they might be laying, or at an age to take the winter off--it's always hard to tell with birds from a yard/auction. but once they hit their stride, you'll probably get 5-6 eggs a week from each bird (depending on age).

8. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    I think you are right, he did good! I just went out to the coop and found a couple of big brown eggs! I didn't think they would be laying already. I am much more of the type of person who does research before buying. Hubby goes with his gut. He picked them because he liked their fuzzy white butts. But in this case, he was right on the money.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nothing wrong with a man who likes a little booty [​IMG]

10. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    LOL. Yes, lucky for me, he likes a little junk in the trunk. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by