Help! Im a new mom. One of My broody's eggs hatched today. I have to move them to a lower place. HOW?

Do not move anyone until all the babies hatch. Momma will get up and leave the nest when she is done hatching. At that point, you can move momma and babes anywhere you want to.

it is very important you do not disturb the nest while babes are hatching.

If you can, partition momma off with some food and water until she gets up and abandons the nest.

LofMc

Part 2...once you've got momma and babes hatched, and momma wants to take them to food and water, I generally have the best success by partitioning them into a private location until the babes are about 2 to 3 weeks of age.

My flock is pretty chill, so I don't have problems with other hens, but I do save a lot of silly little chicks getting lost as they wander off into all sorts of accidents or snagged by a neighbor cat or rat.

I personally have a broody hutch which is large enough for the babes to hatch, momma to move to a different location in the broody coop, then stay in the coop area until they are about 2 to 3 weeks of age.

Then I let momma integrate them in the flock.

I find I have a lot less chick loss this way.

LofMc

I let my chicks and mama go into the flock right away. Mama scuffles with other flock mates on occasion, but my flock ignore the littles. How high is the nest? Don't be surprised if mama gets down with the babies on their own. It's ok if they follow mom out, but make sure they can't fall out before mom is ready to take them out.
Thank you!! The nest is about 2 feet off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom