HELP Im being attacked by my GUINEA

I think you can teach animals not to attack you. If they have a negative connection of, say, being kicked or sprayed when they attack, they will stop doing it.
Guinea fowl are very fragile. It is not a good idea to kick a guinea fowl. Guinea fowl also have different instincts from other poultry. They can become very easy prey because of their utter lack of fear. The guinea in question is only doing what is natural for it to do. Its hormones are raging as it is guinea breeding season in the northern hemisphere.

No amount of negative influence other than death will change its behavior.

If the OP doesn't want to kill this guinea, it should be rehomed to a place that has lots of guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups. Only other guineas understand guinea behavior.

If you are cooping him at night, maybe don’t do that. Leave the door open so he can come and go as he pleases. If he’s used to the coop, chances are he’ll roost there but he won’t feel trapped. Our chickens hatched out several keets and we kept two who lived with our chickens, roosting in the coop at night. As they got older, they got so they’d bully the chickens in the morning before we could let everybody out. Finally they left and joined the neighborhood flock. The only time we see that aggression now with the chickens is when they come into the coop and fight over food. The fellows roosting in the trees seem very agreeable. If letting him come and go as he pleases doesn’t work, I would spray him with the hose. It won’t hurt him and it definitely will discourage the behavior. I am living with a six month old female guinea who I’ve raised from a hatchling. The only time she gets pissy is when I’m transferring her into and out of her outside coop or inside cage. I think the confinement irritates her. Just a thought.

oh get him some friends. Guineas are highly social and need companionship of their own kind. He needs some other guys to chase around.

Last edited:
Guinea fowl are very fragile. It is not a good idea to kick a guinea fowl. Guinea fowl also have different instincts from other poultry. They can become very easy prey because of their utter lack of fear. The guinea in question is only doing what is natural for it to do. Its hormones are raging as it is guinea breeding season in the northern hemisphere.

No amount of negative influence other than death will change its behavior.

If the OP doesn't want to kill this guinea, it should be rehomed to a place that has lots of guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups. Only other guineas understand guinea behavior.
My guineas gang up on the roosters.

Attacked by your Guinea... that is unfortunate. I make sure to handle mine quite a bit when they are young and i think it makes them tamer. This one thinks it's a dog.

Attachments

• 20200203_180321.jpg
    20200203_180321.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 14
My experience is that guineas are less aggressive than chickens. I’ve ”had” guineas for more than ten years and never seen them do the any damage to each other. I’ve seen chickens or roosters harm each other In awful ways, bloodied each other. As I’ve said before, guineas need a decent size flock and they need not to be confined, unless of course they want that, and some do.

Last spring, my guinea rooster, Moltres, started being all hormonally aggressive. He'd go at my legs and actually managed to draw a tiny bit of blood, once, even though I was wearing cargo pants. I assumed that it was instinct to protect his hen, so I just kinda let him be. he settled down over the fall and winter, and he has yet to attack me again. He didn't do it all that much and he's a good boy otherwise, so I'm fine with him.

Ok so im new to this site but im not new to raising my birds. Im at a loss for words and im so upset i adore all of my birds i have hand raised them inside my house with the family until they are grown. I never had any major issues until now. Well i didnt think it was much of an issue but its clearly becoming a problem i cant grasp control of so i need help asap. I have 1 female hen and 1 guinea fowl as of right now due to my neighbors hunting dogs killing a few of my hens. This was about a year ago and at first nothing changed. So gradually i started seeing him become more aggressive with her and then it escalated to charging at me eventually leading to him attacking me EVERY TIME i get close enough. He use to do it while i wasnt paying attention but now he is ready for battle the minute i open there door to let them out he starts chasing me out of the cage. So my husband started having to do it for me. I try and give them there free range time they need and deserve. Ive become a prisoner in my own home now. Ive tried standing my ground thinking he would stop and ended up getting stitches and painful bruises. He was NEVER like this before nor was he attacking ANYONE EXCEPT me. My 10 year old was screaming one day while outside i ran out and my guinea had him pinned in the corner on top of the cage and kept trying to jump on him so i walk out and chucky immediately turns and comes for me long enough for him to come down. Ive tried doing punishments and lockdowns for him but if i let her out and he cant come out with her he gets mad and he will attack the hen the minute i put her back in there cage. So i can't do that anymore for her safety. Hes mean to her either way but its worse when he doesnt get his way. I have to use 3 or 4 different feeding spots at once because he wont let her eat much other wise. My mother calls me one day when she pulls up and i asked why she didnt just come in like usually and of course the damn bird was trying to chase her around now we look alot alike so i figured thats why. Not even a week later my neighbor comes BEATING like the police to tell me chucky was attempting to bully her while she was trying to plant flowers that he wanted to try and eat. I honestly thought it was a woman thing but i as wrong. My husband is now being attacked he was always very loving and patient with chucky hand feeding im his favorite pears so he was NEVER aggressive toward him and he spends all day outside with our animals Chucky always just followed and watched curiously with everything he did. He has attacked an uber driver and attempted to jump into my mailmans truck to attack him. We love our birds and we dont eat them so i need help ASAP. I dont wanna have to kill him nor give him away so im looking for causes and solutions. Its not because hes protecting her or her nest because he doesnt want shit to do with her except to beat up on her when hes mad. Any advice would be awesome. I just dont wanna give up on him without trying to help if possible.
So, how did this turn out?

Back
Top Bottom