Help I'm loosing egg production!

CountyGal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Port Orchard
I have 11 Khaki and 6 WH ducks that are a year old now. They started molting back in March so I wasn't surprised when the egg production went down. Before I was getting about 14 eggs a day. A few weeks ago I found out that I was having a weasel stealing eggs. We sealed up their house better and that seemed to raise the production from 3-4 per day to 8! Then this last week it's dropped back to 3-4 again. We have changed their feed this last few weeks as well. Would any of you know whether that would be the problem now or something else?
Any ideas?!!!!

Last edited:
Changing feed drastically with cause ducks and chickens to go into a molt. It will help if you up the protein level. It helps them get their feathers back in quicker.
thumbsup.gif

You might better check for another weasel entrance point that is a drastic change even with feed changes, that weasel may just have another entrance point, I know I was loosing some eggs, and someone ask me did I have squirrels, I said well yeah, they said them there squirrels or rats will be the number one egg stealler, but it was a possum, LOL

My flock of 22 Campbells and Campbell hybrids is also slowing down on their lay in the last week. I'm only getting a dozen or so from them. I am thinking that making it is because they are outside so much more now and running around a lot in comparison to a month ago. Not that I'm complaining about the nice weather or anything, buy maybe they are more focused on physical acitivity than laying.

Could that be it? Anyone else have ideas?

Not sure what your set up is but could they be hiding them? In the past when I don't get the usual amount of eggs for a couple days I start searching for new spots. My ducks will actually bury the eggs or find a different nesting spot under, behind or on top of something else.

I also agree that a weasel isn't going to give up so easy. It could still be your thief.

Okay, I figured out this morning why they are laying fewer eggs. I saw piles of feathers! My Welsh Harlequin's blue wing bars are at the ENDS of her wings (flight feathers fell out!)

So, my flock is molting instead of laying. Must be the sun and warmer temps, and I'll wait for production to get back up there.

Happy Mother's Day all!

Quote:
We found a hole that was dug out the other day. But we'll make sure to add more protein to their food though. Squirrels? Really?! That's funny.

I got 6 eggs the other day, which is double the amount! We'll see how they do on more protein and hopefully no more weasels!

Back
Top Bottom