Help! I'm new at this and something is wrong with my chickens toe

brittanyc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
I discovered this yesterday. I have soaked it in epsom salt water, slathered in olive oil followed by petroleum jelly. It's safe to say I'm freaking out because we are flat broke and can't go to a vet until Thursday. Any he remedies? Is this normal?!
[/IMG]

This looks like bumble foot. .search up bumblefoot on google and it will explain how to treat it. hope this helps. Best wishes

I looked up bumblefoot and it seems to only be on the pads of the feet. This is on the tip of her toe almost making a u around her nail. Is it just less common on the toes?

I haven't seen that before, but it looks like a necrotic area around the toenail, maybe because she injured it or nearly pulled the toenail out. I think there is probably infection in it just like bumblefoot (staph infection.) Soaking the foot as you are and treating with procaine penicillin G is what I would try. This is located in the refrigerator at your local farm store for about $7. You will need 4 or 5 syringes and needles (20-22 gauge.) The injections should be given into the beast muscle every day, alternating sides. If you can clean or pull off any of the dark necrotic skin it would help it heal--and apply neosporin ointment and wrap in gauze to keep clean. The dose is .1ml or 1/10th of an ml or cc.Give for 4 days. Here are 2 sites you can refer to if you need help with injections: https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

Back
Top Bottom