Help I'm new to broodyness.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexasChickenLady, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    I have a hen who will be a year old at easter, she's been on her nest for about a week, I counted today and she's sitting on 15 eggs. I've made sure she has food and water right in front of her, I'm not sure what to do. Now that's she's been on the nest, egg production has gone way down. I have 12 hens. And I've gone from 11 eggs a day to 6. I want her to hatch her babies but I'm not sure what I need to be doing. Any advice?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Just let her sit and check on her to make sure she doesn't give up too early. Make sure food and water is close by so she doesn't have to go too far. And make sure your other hens aren't "hiding" their eggs under her! 2 of my EEs have been laying under my broody Silkie, so I have to dig out their eggs every day! [​IMG]

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Believe it or not, my silkie is over stuffed with 3 duck eggs (was 4) but every morning when I got to collect eggs from my other 2 layers... they are both under her!!! They lay them in another nesting, I know for sure... and she goes and steals them and bring them into her box. When they wanna hatch eggs, they NEED to hatch every egg they can get under them! LOL [​IMG]

Just do as you've been doing... they really do know what to do for themselves.

4. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    Broodiness is contagious.
    I had my silkie go broody so I kept and eye on her for a couple of days. Anyone that layed an egg, she would grab it and sit on it. I decided to buy her some fertilized eggs (you cannot fight mother nature). No sooner did she start sitting on eggs but so did 1 of my lorps and 1 of my orps. Now the funny thing is each one of those broody girls is now the mom to a silkie. Chickens are great moms too and they all pitch in with each others chicks. It's amazing to watch.

5. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Well I do know for sure that yesterday I counted 12 egg under her and today 15. What do I do if the other hens are pawning thier eggs on her?

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has been sitting on the eggs? If it has been a while I would remove the other eggs.

7. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Put a mark on the eggs that are under her now. Then check everyday and remove unmarked eggs. I try to do this when she's off the nest getting food.

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I went through this for the first time in May....I was told to try and either put her in a dog cage in the coop or put one over top of her and supply water and food ....it helped stop the other girls from laying in the nest and plus when the eggs hatched the others could not bug them.....Good Luck ! Its exciting ....

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Exactly! [​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My silkie loves hatching eggs this has made her 3rd time since I got her which was in june. She has already hatched chicks twice for me. 1st time 3 and 2nd time 6 I didn't even know she was laying again and found a surprise when I found her hidden 11 eggs and broody..LOL. So here she goes again I just hope the little gal can take 11 eggs!..LOL

Your hen will be fine let her do her Chicken "Job" She knows best. If there are other hens with her mark her eggs and remove all new eggs. Also when chicks hatch I would remove her to her own pen with the chicks. Roos and Other hens can kill chicks that are not theirs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by