1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help in buying new coup

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sproc, Nov 3, 2016.

1. sproc

sproc New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi all
    Looking for a new raised coup for 4 chickens, want a small run for feed and water but will be in a large secure pen. Seen loads on amazon/eBay but can't decide which best and what the quality will be. Don't want to spend loads but don't want to buy rubbish. Thanks in advance

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sproc, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us. You might want to place your inquiry in this section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade I think you have to have a minimum of 20 or 25 posts in order to use that service but it is easy to accumulate posts. Hope you find what you are looking for for - best wishes! [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In which country or even general area are you located? That might help you get useable answers.

Most commercial coops/runs really aren’t that secure or even put together correctly for chickens. Materials are often inferior and the layout is just not right. You usually get more nests than you need and the roosts are not elevated, for example. The hardware may not be very robust. But since you want to use it in a secure run, your standards don’t have to be as high as for a coop/run that would be out on its own.

To really help you we need a bit more information other than than just which side of the equator you’re on. Could you tell us a bit on how this coop/run would be used? Is it for a grow-out coop/pen, isolating a broody hen, or to hold separate a rooster and hens for breeding? Maybe something else. A rough idea of your climate could help, that is always useful information. Is I to be used year around or only in the summer? If you could provide a link to something available we may be able to help you evaluate it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have you thought about making your own coop? We have some great ideas and plans in our coop section, please do pop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs
    You can often repurpose materials this way which can save you money.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

2 people like this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, where are my manners! Welcome to the forum! :frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Ridgerunner and Yorkshire gave you some great links and advice, so I'll just say hi! :frow

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by