Help in identifying this pest on feathers?

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I know I’ve had lice on and off through the years and I’m familiar with what they look like. But what are these guys? I’m going to be buying Elector PSP. I would like to identify these bugs before killing.

Attachments

• 28AF5E61-7A68-4A5D-B985-AA7B6691A063.jpeg
    28AF5E61-7A68-4A5D-B985-AA7B6691A063.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 20
I’m in Western WA and we just started getting below freezing at night. Birds are all freshly molted too and look great. It’s always something!
Yes. Yes, it is. Sorry you're dealing with this. At least lice can be dealt with pretty easily, as compared to mites.

And wood ash is good for encouraging dust bathing to prevent them, but it won't eradicate an infestation. Gotta bring out the heavy guns.

They are lice. I recommend dusting your birds with Permethrin powder. You will also have to clean out coops and nests and dust them as well.
New bedding will need to be dusted. Dust your birds again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from lice eggs.
If you see lice eggs on feather shafts on any of your chickens, remove them with coconut oil. Especially inspect around the vent area where it's warm and moist.

An easy way to dust your coop after bedding has been removed and cleaned out is to put a pile of Permethrin dust at the entrance to the coop. Ensure all vents are closed or covered over. Make sure there's no birds inside the coop.
Then use a leaf blower and hit the pile of dust full blast. It will look like a smoke bomb went off inside the coop.
The dust will settle and get in every crack where pests hide and kill them. It will take several hours before the dust settles, so you'll have to do it early in the day.
Make sure you wear old clothes and a mask.

Last edited:
They are lice. I recommend dusting your birds with Permethrin powder. You will also have to clean out coops and nests and dust them as well.
New bedding will need to be dusted. Dust your birds again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from lice eggs.
If you see lice eggs on feather shafts on any of your chickens, remove them with coconut oil. Especially inspect around the vent area where it's warm and moist.

An easy way to dust your coop after bedding has been removed and cleaned out is to put a pile of Permethrin dust at the entrance to the coop. Ensure all vents are closed or covered over. Make sure there's no birds inside the coop.
Then use a leaf blower and hit the pile of dust full blast. It will look like a smoke bomb went off inside the coop.
The dust will settle and get in every crack where pests hide and kill them. It will take several hours before the dust settles, so you'll have to do it early in the day.
Make sure you wear old clothes and a mask.
Is there a reason you recommend the permethrin powder over Elector psp? I was hoping to avoid the powder, is what I used to use. Unfortunately I JUST thoroughly cleaned the coop out a few weeks ago. 🤦🏼‍♀️

You're dealing with cold/freezing temps, correct?
I wouldnt spray birds in cold temps nor inside their coop when there is a threat of cold or freezing temps.
Permethrin dust and Sevin dust are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom