Help: In Making Chicken Coop

chikandjoy

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hello! To Every one!

I have a question regarding building Chicken Coops.
What are the thing/Things i need to know or to have before i make chicken coops?

Can you all help me make Chicken Coops. I want to hear your experiences!
Thanks!
big_smile.png

There is a lot to know and ozzchicken is absolutely right... it is ALL here! I lurked for 2 months and read/researched all the info I could from this site. Then I registered and became a member (when the list was under 50 k) in order to use all that this site had to offer. I then went to the library to get more reference material and basically submerged myself in chicken knowledge. It was not as messy as I had thought it would be, but it was very dense. My advice is to absorb/read/collect/evaluate/implement what you need to know to be a top notch chicken keeper. When I took the plunge and ordered my first flock of pullets I was very nervous yet excited. I have yet to lose a bird to anything other than a predator! I have been lucky but also very prepared for the challenge. I wish you good luck with your Chicken Odyssey!

Where are my manners?!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
@ozzchicken and @catdaddy66

What can you suggest on what material i should use for the coop. you know maybe some chickens has some reaction if they are exposed in a particular material?

welcome-byc.gif

This is the place to find answers, but first you need to absorb enough info to know what to ask. peruse the coop section for a while and you'll soon figure out what kind of set up makes sense for your needs and finances than come back and ask questions.

Lurking and absorbing info is a good thing......I don't post much because I'm usually absorbing info and a lot of times what I would add has already been said. BYC is the best! Building coops is an ongoing thing here (started with 2 silkies an few years ago and am heading for 100 chooks this year) and a lot of it is personal preference as far as what you use and how you build, but there are some things you want to avoid.....it's all here. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

go to the top of this page where it says "Coop Designs" That is the place to start.

Do not use cedar wood for your coop. Beyond that...anything goes.

Here's a good place to start (though you may already have looked at it): https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=206328

The
first things that come to mind from personal experience:
1. Build it bigger than you think you'll need. Trust us on this.
2. Ventilation - so, so important.
3. Nestboxes - one for every 5-6 birds is plenty, they seem to all stand in line for one or two anyway.
4. Chicken wire will keep chickens in, it won't keep almost anything out. And you need to keep lots of things out - everything loves chicken dinners.

Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom