Help in understanding my dog

robbobbin

Songster
12 Years
Jan 28, 2007
We have an ancient rottweiler. He is 12 yrs old, and in rotties thats pretty old. Another thing with rotties is-they are strong headed. I've had more than one.
Now Jake has slowed way down in the last couple yrs. Stays home, lays around the yard. Never botherd the chickens or anyone else. Unless your a cat-he always hates cats!
Heres the problem:
Down the road there is a young boxer, male 1yr old I think, certainly not more than 2. Their in LOVE! We can't keep them apart! Their both males, but they wont quit!!! It's gotten ugly. When their together(we've never had to chain our rottie, the boxer has always been chained since they got him) they hear/see/smell only each other. Their obcessed, posessed. They will get aggressive to persons trying to interfer. They want each other in a bad way! We do not know whats up??? We have resorted to chaining our dog, and patrolling the yard. The boxer gets lose ALOT!

One good thing-since the boxer only has eyes for our rottie, he doesn't even notice our flock-YET!
Any opinions???
And yes I can see the humor in it, twisted as it may be.

I have heard that when a dog "mounts" another dog, it is not always sexual. Sometimes it may be an act of dominating where one dog wants to annouce his superiority over another.

It is a form of domination. My two dogs wrestle and romp with each other all day long. When my female (boxer) has had enough it usually ends with her mounting my male hound. And she is the dominant one of the two.

Well unfortunatly it is a matter of time before the boxer notices your flock.
sad.png
You need to get the owners to control their dog, if you want to protect your dog and flock. I know its like play, but play, even dominate play can get rough and cause injury, which can get very expensive at the vets!
hmm.png
If he continuously gets loose call animal control. You probably have leash laws in your area, some laws allow you to deal with the offending animal if he hurts your livestock. Maybe a nice chat with the owners first, and then if it continues put the law on your side. A couple of nasty fines from A.C. and they might decide to take better care of their animal. Besides, a dog running loose is a danger to himself and others, it would be a shame for him to be HBC when it could have been preventable.
cool.png

That's exactly what I was going to say.
Talk to your neighbors and have them restrain their dog.
Whatever reason your boys are enjoying each other's company isn't good enough to let either roam the neighborhood.
Maybe supervised play dates in a safe environment?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom