Help Inc Call Duck Eggs

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I have 14 call eggs plus another 6 on the way, I have a duck that is due to go broody, but she doesn't seem to want to co-operate
barnie.gif
She has always gone broody after laying 10-12 eggs she has laid her 16th egg today and is seems to almost doing it on purpose
idunno.gif
So I have this bator right, but I had one previously and it was a nightmare, dead emryos, chicks hatching from the wrong end and more! and I know that it isn't the eggs because when naturally brooded I had near 100% success, The new bator I have is a fairly cheap one, but it has gotta be better than a home made one right? Some of the eggs are getting a bit old as the oldest would be 15 days now...... so I think it's now or never! 37.5 degrees celcius and humidity? also should I let the eggs cool daily for 15 mins then spray with water to increase hatch rate..... do many people do this? any helpful hints would be fantastic.

And also what exactly is lockdown..... I know it is the last few days of inc, but what do you do and how nessecary is it?

First, what kind of incubator do you have? I wouldn't say that its better then a homemade one too loud though
wink.png
People can get pretty defensive about their bators! Actually, the most high tech incubators I've ever seen were homemade.

If the eggs are 15 days old you need to set them now or toss 'em. I mean....it's always worth a shot, but you chances of them developing are going down with every passing day.

I have 23 calls in right now. Due next Thursday. I let them cool a few minutes and mist them every night. I'm having my best incubation rate so far...so it must be helping!

Well this bator was $200 from petlink, doesn't have a brand..... made in Russia, Iknow I know, sounds dodgy, but anything has gotta be better with that home made disaster that was given to me! The temp seems to be between 36 and 37.5 degrees celcius is this ok? Do I want humidity between 60 and 70% ? But no offence intended to you guys who have awesome homemade ones!The one I had was like a mini oven with a glass front with a 100 w light globe in it with a waterbed thermostat in it, temp use to fluctuate between 35 and 39 degrees celcius.

Back
Top Bottom