Help! Incubator temp reading and supplemental thermometer disagree

Hermit Holler

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
Scott County, VA
I have an inexpensive incubator (Little Giant from TSC) with a fan. The built in digital thermometer on the incubator says 101 degrees but the supplementary thermometer I put in the incubator is reading 97 degrees. I calibrated the supplementary thermometer using the ice water bath method and it was right on 32 degrees. Which thermometer should I trust more??? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The calibrated one. Where is the sensor for the built in thermometer versus the supplemental one? Are they relatively the same distance from the heater and at the same "vertical" distance from the heater? Forced air still does not remove hot and cold spots unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply. the 'bator temp sensor is on a wire that can be positioned where you want inside the 'bator. The built in sensor is about the same horizontal and vertical distance from the heater.

Be careful with the temp probe on the wire that is attached to the plastic sheet.

If you use a Turner it will move the probe with the eggs. So the temp will change as it moves. Also it never sets back to the exact spot when you open the lid.

Trust your calibrated thermometer.

I have an inexpensive incubator (Little Giant from TSC) with a fan. The built in digital thermometer on the incubator says 101 degrees but the supplementary thermometer I put in the incubator is reading 97 degrees. I calibrated the supplementary thermometer using the ice water bath method and it was right on 32 degrees. Which thermometer should I trust more??? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I recommend calibrating your thermometers against a human medical thermometer.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

I do use a turner. Is it best to suspend the probe from the cover somehow? How often is it recommended to check the calibrated thermo with the control board temp?

Back
Top Bottom