Help, injured 5 1/2 week old duckling.

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
I came home to find my 5 1/2 week old duckling with one wing hanging limp, straight down at her side. We had a bad storm while I was at work and she was with the older, female ducks, (has been since last week) but I am not sure what happened. It do not see or feel any broken bones. If I had to guess I would say dislocated shoulder. I called around for a vet but the soonest she can be seen is in the morning. I tried to vet wrap it into place but she got it off in 5 minutes. I have her isolated but by the rest and will try to get pictures. Any suggestions?

I came home to find my 5 1/2 week old duckling with one wing hanging limp, straight down at her side. We had a bad storm while I was at work and she was with the older, female ducks, (has been since last week) but I am not sure what happened. It do not see or feel any broken bones. If I had to guess I would say dislocated shoulder. I called around for a vet but the soonest she can be seen is in the morning. I tried to vet wrap it into place but she got it off in 5 minutes. I have her isolated but by the rest and will try to get pictures. Any suggestions?keeping her quiet and calm
Poor duckling! You might try sock with the toe cut open as a body stocking to hold the wing in place. But if you can see a vet in the morning then I wouldn't worry too much if it gets it off.

Keeping her quiet and calm away from the bigger ducks is certainly a good idea

Here are pictures. She is a Dutch Hookbill.
CA4617D0-44A9-4A9D-B878-5CA758F7EA78.jpeg

37C1470D-DE07-4F13-A2EF-6B8850C4E0BE.jpeg

56F49AFC-EEB6-42B5-8C2B-46031A40FAC1.jpeg

I did, wonderful vet who used to work with exotics at zoos (and who gave me a major teacher break). Noodles has a cut on the underside of his (vet thinks he is a boy) wing. I didn’t see it because of it’s location. No breaks, thankfully. The vet thinks that he freaked in the storm and injured himself. He gave me the antibiotic Clavacilin and the pain killer Metacam. We are to keep him inside to prevent flies from bothering the wound but he can swim in the bath tub. So he is back in the split brooder with the newly hatched duckling on the other side.
Thank you for checking on him!
7019640B-6B44-4BAF-92D4-DF3DC6925150.jpeg

D9AE4849-9F09-4E10-AE2A-439552B0A5ED.jpeg

Btw, the breeder thinks the new duckling is an Aleutian dusky. I hope she is right since they are beautiful!
C16FC601-DD69-4E18-8586-FC7A084E1797.jpeg

Thank goodness no break. I'm wondering if the wing isn't sprained too with Noodles holding like she does. Oh and why did the vet think Noodles is a drake did he vent check?

Oh my gosh what a gorgeous baby, did you choose a name yet?

Thank goodness no break. I'm wondering if the wing isn't sprained too with Noodles holding like she does. Oh and why did the vet think Noodles is a drake did he vent check?

Oh my gosh what a gorgeous baby, did you choose a name yet?
It could be sprained too. The vet did not vent sex. Noodles is getting rather hoarse. The feather colors look male too. But, I swear Noodles was quacking a week or so ago. I remember someone posting “can a duckling stop quacking?”, I am starting to think the answer is yes.
The new baby does not yet have a name. I have many high school students working on it.

Mine are 9 weeks old and I still don't know for sure what mine are and it's driving me batty.
I was hearing sounds like a female too now I just don't know and can't remember how old my other Runners were when they told me their sex.

Hopefully this isn't the year of the drake, been there done that already :rolleyes:
For you too.

Back
Top Bottom