Help! injured chick

Jchicken311

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Texas
When I went out this morning to feed mama and her babies one of them(I call her Lizzy) was sitting in the corner by herself and she can not walk straight. She just walks in circles, her right leg looked injured when I picked her up and she just turns her head over and over. I tried to get some water down her, but she just shook her head. It seems like she is trying to walk normal it just ends up being circles. I guess she got hit by a wooden board that fell last night because she was right next to it when I first saw her. Oh and one of her eyes was kind of droopy. Please Help! I am sure she is going to die and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance

How old is the chick? Can you bring it inside under a heat lamp to treat it? I would put some vitamins and electrolytes in the water, whether or not you separate the chick from the broody. Make sure the cjick is drinking. The chick may have wry neck from the injury, and the vitamins may help. Does the leg look broken, or do you think there is just a sprain? Resting the leg may help. If the chicks are pretty young, I would pen them up with the broody hen if you want to leave the chick with her. Keep us updated on how it is doing. Good luck.

I was thinking about bringing it in to nurse it since, we are going to have some bad weather tonight, thanks but i don't have vitamins or electrolytes on hand and the feed store is closed, is there anything more natural I can give it?
I made her drink this morning, and she is about a month old, she has a sibling but he/she is fine. Can I take her away from mom or will she abandon her if I do? sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
Oh, and her leg seems better I think it was just sprained, i think the injury is more of a head injury than a leg injury. Which scares me more. could I give her apple cider vinegar in a dropper and some garlic maybe? will this help?

Last edited:
Apple cider and garlic will definitely help, but a substitute for electrolytes is a sports drink like powerade or Gatorade. I would personally keep her inside. Bad weather will not help her at all. If you can, bring her mother and sibling in so she doesn't get lonely or cold. She might just be a bit dazed, and it could wear off. Just keep giving her food and water.

Do you have any vitamin E capsules or vitamin B Complex? Vitamin E, B1 (thiamine,) and selenium are good for wry neck/head injury symptoms. Selenium is a mineral found in egg, tuna, chopped sunflower kernels and nuts, and other foods. I would probably leave her with the broody, as long as she is being cared for and not picked on. Vinegar can be strong undiluted, and it really does nothing to help what she has going on. Tomorrow if you haven't found vitamins, you could get some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell Vitamins from a feed store, and give her 1 ml orally each day--that will cover all the needed vitamins and minerals.

UPDATE:I brought mama and her chicks inside the garage in a small dog kennel, the chick couldn't find its way under mom so I put a heater in front of the kennel. I fed it with a medicine dropper and was able to get down a little apple cider vinegar some garlic water and some chick food mixed with water, it is still hanging in there but, I'm not sure. I am going to go out ever hour for a while and check on them and give it a little more food at a time until it seems full like the other chick.
Thanks for all the help and I will keep y'all updated

UPDATE:
Lizzy is still hanging in there, still can't eat on her own so I am still feeding her through medicine dropper. She seems to be more alert, but doesn't move much.
In other news:
Before we left for church this morning somebody heard a weird bird noise outside, it was one of our escapee bantam polish chickens, we are still not sure if he is a she or not though. its name is Remington and he was soaked to the bone and got scared by the dogs, so we brought him in the garage and gave him food and a dry cage to sleep in. He's fine just happy that he is in the warm garage with free food lol
I will get some pics of him once he is all dry to see if you guys can tell me if he's a boy or girl.
Also what are saddle feathers? Can someone please explain this to me so I can see if remington has them or not.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom