HELP Injured day old chick!

osukrazykate

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Not too far from Keystone
I picked up my chicks today and one has an injured leg and hobbles on the other leg. It seems swollen and a little bit of pus is coming out at the joint of the upper leg to the lower leg.

I know this may be hard to see how it is swollen, but right at the joint and it holds this leg out to the side a little bit.
sad.png

27631_img_2828.jpg

Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should do to help this little guy out?

I had the exact same problem last week when I hatched my first chicks. My chick held his leg against him (though not right under the body, he held it a bit to the side) and wouldn't put weight on it. The joint had what appeared to be a scratch and later developed a yellowish crust. I first tried to splint but the leg wouldn't open fully so I just taped the joint more open and let him hobble around on that leg. A week later, he's still not really putting weight on that foot but he's still alive, eating, drinking and gaining weight. I'm too attached at this point to put him down even if he's not walking well.

I'm new at this but, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably still try to help.

what are you giving him for the pus
it is a nureoogical disorder in new chicks due to te joint problem

I would say he is not very healthy and you may have to give up on him
if you can't doctor him for infection
How do you suppose a new born chick got infection?
It may be one that you will have to give him terramycin in the water for 10 days for infection

Back
Top Bottom