HELP Injured day old chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by osukrazykate, Apr 24, 2009.

1. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up my chicks today and one has an injured leg and hobbles on the other leg. It seems swollen and a little bit of pus is coming out at the joint of the upper leg to the lower leg.

I know this may be hard to see how it is swollen, but right at the joint and it holds this leg out to the side a little bit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should do to help this little guy out?

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Might be kinder to dispatch him....... but hopefully someone other than me might be able to help:

3. jkraften

jkraften New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    I had the exact same problem last week when I hatched my first chicks. My chick held his leg against him (though not right under the body, he held it a bit to the side) and wouldn't put weight on it. The joint had what appeared to be a scratch and later developed a yellowish crust. I first tried to splint but the leg wouldn't open fully so I just taped the joint more open and let him hobble around on that leg. A week later, he's still not really putting weight on that foot but he's still alive, eating, drinking and gaining weight. I'm too attached at this point to put him down even if he's not walking well.

I'm new at this but, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably still try to help.

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    what are you giving him for the pus
    it is a nureoogical disorder in new chicks due to te joint problem

I would say he is not very healthy and you may have to give up on him
    if you can't doctor him for infection
    How do you suppose a new born chick got infection?
    It may be one that you will have to give him terramycin in the water for 10 days for infection

5. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, he went over the rainbow earlier today to a place with no infection and can run around like a normal little chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by