Help! Injured Drake

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
So I have a flock of five drakes and they have all been getting along fine up until a couple days ago. I noticed the two newest members started getting pushy and chasing the other three around occasionaly, but when I let my ducks out of their house this morning one of the old ducks looked like this

I brought him inside and rinsed him off to get the blood off. Please help! I have seen my drakes squabble a bit before but nothing like this. Should I put any kind of ointment on the raw spots?
Thanks!

First, he needs to be separated from them - in fact, the perpetrators need to be separated from the others. Now.

He needs to be brought in where it is reasonably warm and allowed to swim in a lukewarm bath. Look for injuries, check his vent.

Yes, some kind of treatment for his injuries would be good. I would use either saline solution or Vetericyn and spray him off twice a day.

Mating season can bring on this kind of abuse. You need to watch and intervene.

Thank you for responding so fast. I brought him inside and he has been swimming in a warm tub. I will go separate the others right away. I don't see any injuries besides the bare bloody patches. Thanks again!

I would suggest getting Nu-Stock for him. It is a sulfur ointment and heals rashes, cuts, infections, etc. We have used it with great success! I would also get cayenne in him. That would help with healing and if he is in shock. Just Mix a little cayenne in a cup of warm water and try to get him to drink it. That is what we did for our Pekin hen when a hawk attacked her. She has healed up and you cannot even tell where her wounds were. (Nu-Stock heals scars also.)

Last edited:
Thanks so much I will try that. He is doing so much better already. The bald spots are not red and bleeding anymore and he is acting more like his normal self. Thank you both for your help!

Hi all! Just wanted to let you guys know that my drake is all healed up and has been put back outside. All five of them are getting along. Thanks for all your help again :).

Hi all! Just wanted to let you guys know that my drake is all healed up and has been put back outside. All five of them are getting along. Thanks for all your help again
smile.png

Good to hear that he's better and they're all getting along now.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom