Help! Injured Hen

Faith's Chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Our chickens free range all day. Tonight when we went to close up the coop and count and visit everyone we found one of our hens injured. Her eye, cheek and area between eye and ear are swollen(like a half of a golf ball in under her skin) and her beek is crocked. The lower beek is pulled towards the injured side. Small cut/wound between eye, comb and ear area. I have no idea how long it has been that way (all day, 1/2 day, etc) I can see the inside of her lower mouth and it seems dusty? but can see moisture back on tongue area. Her craw doesn't feel full, but also doesn't feel empty. What should I do? I have a "hospital" coop I can put her in. I don't know if she is suffering badly, should I put her down or see how she is in the morning? I know I should probably seperate her from other chickens so they don't pick on her. Any help appreciated.

Okay, so I moved her to the hospital coop. She is getting around fine. She drank some water. She is settling in to the new hay/area. I will check on her in the morning and reassess from there.

I don't know war to tell you because I'm still pretty new at this chicken thing but I do hope your girl is ok and keeps getting better day by day!

So sorry about your chicken, but glad she is alright. Pictures of her wounds can help us see what you see. Have you seen hawks in your area lately? I would put some water into some of herfeed andoffer some scrambled egg to try and get her eating. Clean the wounds with betadine or soap and water, and apply an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin (plain.)

Back
Top Bottom